DeUnna Hendrix resigns after four years as head coach of Miami women’s basketball

<p>DeUnna Hendrix came to Miami after seven season as the head coach at High Point University</p>

DeUnna Hendrix came to Miami after seven season as the head coach at High Point University

DeUnna Hendrix has resigned as the head coach of Miami University women’s basketball after four seasons, the Miami University Athletic Department announced in an email sent just after 6 p.m. Wednesday.

“It’s pretty matter of fact,” Hendrix said in an interview with The Student just after the announcement. “Just looking at the state of the program, with some valuable pieces jumping in the portal and obviously, we've been building for four years. So going into a contract year, it was really important that all the pieces stay in place. And so when it didn't look that way, you know, I just felt like I needed to slide over and let somebody else take the reins. So that's where we're at with it.”

Hendrix was hired in 2019. In her four seasons at the helm of Miami, she saw seven RedHawks receive All-MAC honors and 15 RedHawks earn Academic All-MAC honors. She compiled a record of 35-80 (18-58 MAC). Her team won 11 games her first season, then four in her second, eight in her third and 12 in her final season, 2022-2023. She came to Miami after seven seasons as the head coach at High Point University. 

“It’s not an easy decision,” Hendrix said. “... obviously I wanted to make it work here, but I also have so much respect for the university and for the Athletic Department, and I just didn’t see the vision come together in the fifth year with so many pieces going back into the portal.”

At the tail end of Hendrix’s first season at Miami, the COVID-19 pandemic began to rear its head, and between her first and second seasons, it shut down the world. Her team lost Miami’s all-time leading scorer, Lauren Dickenson before her second season. 

Peyton Scott, who worked out at Millett Hall today, was already committed to Miami before Hendrix was hired. Hendrix convinced her that Miami was still the place to be, and she stayed on. Barring transfer or unforeseen circumstances, Scott should break the Miami all-time scoring record next season. She has 1,871 career points, and Dickerson had 2,208. 

A quote from Hendrix was also included in the email from the Athletic Department.

"I want to thank Miami University and its administration for allowing me to lead this program for the last four years," Hendrix said. "I can't express the amount of gratitude I have for this prestigious institution and its leadership. I also want to thank the Oxford community for the continual love and support. I look forward to the next phase of my career and continue rooting for the RedHawks."

Hendrix said that she has other opportunities on the horizon that she’s excited about.

According to the email from the Athletic Department, Miami will begin a search for its next head coach immediately.

@jackschmelznger

schmelj2@miamioh.edu