Editor’s corner: RedHawk roundup

<p>Junior striker Paula Pena centers a ball in Miami&#x27;s win over Ohio State</p>

Junior striker Paula Pena centers a ball in Miami's win over Ohio State

Miami athletics has been busy since our last print edition dropped on Sept. 1. Here’s a rundown of what’s happened since then: 

Miami beats Ohio State

Not a sentence you’ll read often: Miami beat the No. 19 Buckeyes on the field hockey pitch Sunday, Sept. 11. The 1-0 win came thanks to a penalty stroke goal by Claudia Negrete García, star junior midfielder, as the second quarter ticked down. 

García’s fourth goal of the year, along with a stellar performance in net from Isabele Perese, senior goalkeeper, (6 saves, 9 penalty corners faced) propelled tMU over the lousy Buckeyes. 

In the last two weeks, the RedHawks have played and lost three other games as well, 1-0 to No. 12 Harvard, 3-2 to Brown and 1-0 again at the hands of No. 4 Michigan. The RedHawks kick off the conference schedule on Sept. 16 when Ohio visits Oxford. 

Miami Volleyball sweeps Chattanooga Classic

Volleyball killed it at the Chattanooga invitational tournament on the weekend of Sept. 9. The RedHawks started off the tournament on Friday with a 3-0 sweep of Southern Indiana. 

Then they won in five sets against Duquesne (continuing Miami’s utter dominance of the city of Pittsburgh on the weekend), and finally defeated the host, Chattanooga, in five sets on Saturday. 

The weekend before, Miami saw less success on its own court. The ’Hawks beat Marshall at Millett on Friday, but they got swept by both Bellarmine and Middle Tennessee on Saturday. 

Now, it’s rivalry week for the RedHawks, who play Xavier at home on Thursday before traveling to C*ncinnati on Friday. 

Soccer approaches breakout

After two straight losses to end August, the RedHawks started September scorching hot. 

Miami routed Illinois-Chicago 3-0 on Sept. 4, before squeaking by Bellarmine 1-0 four days later. Then on Sept. 11 the RedHawks beat Marshall 2-1. Camber Hayes, junior midfielder, had four assists in the three games, and Izzie Vaccari, senior goalie, only had to make eight total saves. 

Miami hits the pitch next on Sept. 22 against Ball State. 

@jackschmelznger

schmelj2@miamioh.edu