Credit/No Credit deadline extended to April 1

<p>Miami has extended the credit/no credit application deadline to April 1. But students must still take all required classes for their majors and minors for a grade. </p>

Miami has extended the credit/no credit application deadline to April 1. But students must still take all required classes for their majors and minors for a grade.

The credit/no credit deadline has been extended to April 1, but students still cannot take any required classes for their major or minor as credit/no credit. 

In an email sent to the student body Feb. 9, University Registrar Amanda Euen wrote there will be no exceptions to the policy like in previous semesters.  

Omar Elghazawi, an Associated Student Government (ASG) off-campus senator, said he’s glad the change went into effect. 

“It was a bit unfair that we're still in the pandemic environment, but we had to try and go back to normal, as Provost Osborne put it,” Elghazawi said. 

Student Body President Jannie Kamara said she wasn’t informed of the decision until Euen’s email to the student body. Elghazawi said ASG wasn’t informed beforehand either.

“Another reaction was why wasn't this communicated ahead of time, because this was a shock to many people,” Kamara said. 

Kamara said she isn’t sure what her next steps will be. While ASG planned to present a proposal to University Senate, Kamara isn’t sure if that will be necessary. 

“It's kind of unclear, because for us, it's very fresh in our minds,” Kamara said. 

She said if anything, she would like to change the policy prohibiting students from taking required major and minor classes credit/no credit. She said the administration is preventing students from doing so because of the impact it might have on graduate school applications or future job opportunities. 

“I do believe that students should be able to make that choice,” Kamara said. “Having the credit/no credit option available for major and minor classes does not guarantee your students will take it.”

First-year Meredith Morrow, a sports leadership and management major, said she would support allowing students to take major and minor courses as credit/no credit. 

“A lot of people don't know what they want to do about their grades because it takes a while to get into the swing of things with classes,” Morrow said. 

Before the extension, Elghazawi and on-campus senator Harry Harman presented a resolution to ASG calling for Provost Jason Osborne to extend the deadline during its Jan. 26 meeting. The resolution passed. 

ASG also began a petition on Jan. 22 to advocate for emergency extensions to the credit/no credit policy. Reena Murphy, speaker of senate, wrote in an email to members of ASG that as of 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 9, the petition had garnered more than 950 signatures. 

If any proposals are made to University Senate by ASG, they will be discussed during its meeting at 3:30 p.m. on Feb. 22. 

@abby_bammerlin

bammeraj@miamioh.edu