Miami senior and recent grad drown in Kentucky lake

Miami University Hamilton rising senior Guan Lian and recent graduate Yanqi Xing both drowned in Jamestown, Ky., last weekend. Interim Director of University News and Communications Carole Johnson confirmed the identities and deaths of both men in an email to The Miami Student.

Their bodies were discovered in Lake Cumberland between the Jamestown Marina and Wolf Creek Dam on June 8, said Russell County Emergency Manager H.M. Bottom. 

Lian and Xing, both 23, were a part of a group that was swimming in Lake Cumberland on June 5, when their house boat began floating away. Bottom said the two students were too far into the lake to make it back to shore. 

Lian and Xing swam after the boat before going under. Bottom said the men’s families, who are in China, were notified of their passing through their embassies.

Lian was a small business management major in the College of Liberal Arts and Applied Sciences. Xing graduated from Miami in December 2019.

Miami is providing counseling to students through the H.O.P.E. (Help Over the Phone Everywhere) Line at 855-249-5649. It is available 24/7 for students to call for immediate support, crisis intervention and stabilization from a licensed mental health counselor.

@timcarlin_

carlintm@miamioh.edu

@briah_lumpkins

lumpkibm@miamioh.edu