Miami student assaulted at Brick Street

A female Miami University student reported to the Oxford Police Department (OPD) two weeks ago that she was sexually assaulted by a man she didn't know at the Brick Street Bar and Grill.

Officer Anthony Jones had driven to Miami Valley Hospital South in Centerville, Ohio, to pick up the survivor's sexual assault nurse examination (SANE) kit. Jones wrote in the incident report that he discovered through SANE paperwork that the student was assaulted around 1 a.m. on Friday, March 8. The student had reported the assault the following day.

However, the student was unable to provide a description of the suspect or any additional information.

This incident marks the eighteenth sexual assault reported to OPD or the Miami University Police Department (MUPD) during the 2018-2019 school year. So far there have been 15 cases reported to OPD and three cases reported to MUPD in the last seven months.

Miami students who want to report a sexual assault can make their report to any campus security authority, including Miami University Police (513-529-2222), Oxford Police (513-523-4321), the Office of Community Standards (513-529-1417), student organization advisers and athletic coaches.

Survivors can also receive confidential support from Katy Clover (513-431-1111), Miami's campus-based support specialist from the Butler County office of Women Helping Women. Clover is not a mandatory reporter.

doyleca3@miamioh.edu