Group will transform trash into music at upcoming Program Board concert

Shannon Depenbrock

With one part STOMP, one part hip-hop and some drum solos, the group Recycled Percussion emerges.

Performing something similar to a Blue Man Group show - minus the blue paint - the group will be showcasing its talent Feb. 9 at Miami University

The band is comprised of three drummers and one DJ, and is the No.1 touring group among college campuses in the nation, according to senior Hilary Chaikin, president of Program Board. Chaikin saw the band at a convention earlier this year and decided to bring Recycled Percussion to Miami's campus for their second performance in Oxford.

"The show was a hit two years ago at Miami," Chaikin said. "We received a lot of good feedback and decided to book the group again this year."

In the two years since last performing in Oxford, the group has become even more popular. They released a live CD and emerged from an underground live show into a popular touring group.

Along with claiming to possess the fastest drummers in the world, the group performs an interactive drum show, combining hip-hop beats with drum solos performed on things like garbage cans and ladders. They are coming to Miami as part of their "Rock Your Junk" tour, in which they utilize common items, such as pots and pans, to create sound and music.

They call their style of music "Junk Rock" and derived their name from the common nature of their instruments.

Junior Rob Lee attended Recycled Percussion's performance at Miami two years ago and said that he would definitely see this show again.

"I very surprised by the quality of the presentation; it wasn't just people beating stuff for hours on end," Lee said. "I remember I liked when they used the jackhammer against the steel plate - that was very unconventional."

Senior Sofia Sotelo, the Program Board co-chair in charge of the event, said she is confident that students will enjoy the show.

"This is a very unique show," Sotelo said. "It's a type of entertainment that doesn't happen at Miami often."

Chaikin agreed.

"We realized that students really like interactive events that are entertaining and of a higher caliber," Chaikin said.

Chaikin also said that the Association for Promotion of Campus Activities magazine awarded the group Entertainer of the Year for 2006.

The show is free and will begin at 10 p.m. Feb. 9, in the Shriver Multipurpose Room.

Trending