Move-in day requires vaccination or negative COVID-19 test

<p>Students were required to show proof of a negative COVID test before on-campus move-in. </p>

Students were required to show proof of a negative COVID test before on-campus move-in.

The Miami University residence hall move-in process begins Wednesday, Aug. 18, with the exception of those participating in early move-in. 

Yet, because of COVID-19, the process will look a little different this year to assure safety as Miami housing plans for full capacity. 

Vicka Bell-Robinson, Miami’s director of Residence Life, said students living in on-campus housing are required to upload proof of a COVID-19 vaccination or a positive COVID-19 test taken within the past 90 days to MedProctor, get vaccinated at Millett Hall upon arrival or get tested for COVID-19 upon arrival. 

Along with proof of vaccination or COVID testing, students have also been assigned time slots for move-in to allow for a smooth process and alleviate crowds. 

But even with all these precautions, Bell-Robinson and the rest of the Miami staff urge students to keep their circles small to help slow the spread of COVID-19. 

“This is a guideline, not a policy,” Bell-Robinson said. “Students are permitted to have overnight guests this year, but we still encourage one visitor per room per regular occupant.” 

Incoming first-year Molly Petit, a finance major, said she is looking forward to attending Miami and is even moving in early. She said she’s been impressed with how Miami has been preparing students for the move-in process.

“Miami has given us clear instructions to follow move-in; they have done a great job at making our job seem seamless,” Petit said. “They have done a great job at making everyone feel comfortable while moving during COVID-19. I am vaccinated, so I do not have to get tested, and since we have to wear masks indoors I am not super worried about moving during COVID.” 

As students gear up for yet another pandemic school year, Miami is devoted to keeping their students safe as the school sent an email on Aug. 5 saying they are continuously updating their COVID-19 guidelines when appropriate. 

Bell-Robinson said she is confident about this year's move-in and does not have any concerns. She urges students and parents to watch the move-in day video posted on Miami’s website and to also refer to the orientation Canvas site for information about living on campus to help answer any questions students may have. 

quallshn@miamioh.edu