How will 9th overall MLB Draft pick Sam Bachman fit in with the Angels?

<p>After being selected in the first round of the 2021 MLB Draft by the Los Angeles Angels, pitcher Sam Bachman will likely start his career at the A-ball or AA level for the Angels organization. <em>Courtesy of Miami Athletics</em></p>

After being selected in the first round of the 2021 MLB Draft by the Los Angeles Angels, pitcher Sam Bachman will likely start his career at the A-ball or AA level for the Angels organization. Courtesy of Miami Athletics

Sam Bachman became the first Miami University RedHawk ever selected in the first round of the MLB first-year player draft when the Los Angeles Angels drafted him ninth overall Sunday night. 

Bachman will sign on or before August 15, or he’ll have to return to Miami and enter the draft again next year (that probably isn’t happening – sorry RedHawk fans). 

After he signs, he’ll enter the pro ranks immediately, likely starting in the minor leagues at the A-ball or AA level, for the Angels’ in San Bernardino, Calif. or Madison, Ala. respectively. But as a college prospect with major league-ready stuff, Bachman will likely be fast-tracked to the majors to help Los Angeles. 

The Angels could desperately use Bachman’s help – the sooner the better. 

Currently, the team has given up the fifth most runs in the league. They only have two starting pitchers with an earned run average (ERA) below five. Dylan Bundy and Jose Quintana, who have combined to start just over a quarter of the Angels’ games have a grotesque ERA of 6.91 between them this season. For reference, the league average in 2021 is 4.14. 

Bachman’s fastball and slider are already considered elite big league pitches by most scouts. His changeup is developing, but until he’s ready to use it confidently and consistently against big league hitters, it’s unlikely he will be in the team’s rotation. 

Luckily for Bachman, the Angels’ bullpen is also a mess at ninth worst in the league in ERA. 

On the Angels, Bachman would join two of baseball’s biggest stars. Mike Trout will roam center field behind Bachman. Trout is the sport’s highest paid player and a three-time Most Valuable Player. Many believe he’s one of the greatest of all time. 

Bachman is also likely to share a rotation with Japanese phenom Shohei Ohtani. Ohtani comfortably leads the MLB in home runs hit and is also the Angels’ ace pitcher. This year, he became the first player in MLB history to be selected to the all star game as a hitter and a pitcher. 

Bachman will be sharing the field with some of baseball’s most electrifying players, but despite Trout and Ohtani, the Angels have not seen much success in over a decade. The team hasn’t made the playoffs since 2014, and hasn’t won a playoff series since 2009. They last won the World Series in 2002. 

As the team’s newest first round pick, Sam Bachman will look to write the next chapter of Angels’ history and help bring the team it’s first commissioner’s trophy in nearly two decades. 

If all goes well, he’ll have the people of Orange County partying like it’s 2002. 

schmelj2@miamioh.edu

@jacksmerz