Women’s swimming and diving nets third-place finish at MAC championships

<p>RedHawk swimmers cheer on their teammates during last weekend&#x27;s MAC championship meet.</p>

RedHawk swimmers cheer on their teammates during last weekend's MAC championship meet.

The Miami University women’s swimming and diving team went to Ypsilanti, Mich., this weekend for the Mid-American Conference (MAC) championships.

The team finished in third place out of eight teams with 436.5 points. University at Buffalo and University of Akron finished in first and second place with 773 and 766 points, respectively.

Freshman Nicole Maier took home the only first-place finish for the RedHawks on day one, setting a conference record in the 500 freestyle with a time of 4:39.96. 

Maier was the star for Miami, as she set another conference record in the 400 individual medley Friday. Her time of 4:11.30 was enough for a first-place finish.

Although the RedHawks never captured a first-place finish in a relay race, the team came close. Maier, sophomore Caroline Ethers and first-years Honor Brodie-Foy and Rachel Botting finished third in the 200 freestyle relay Thursday.

Maier was also on the 400 medley relay team, along with senior Kayleigh Cannon and juniors Camilla Lins De Mello and Anna Martin. The team took home another third-place finish in 3:41.25.

Cannon also finished third in the 100 butterfly with a time of 54.19.

After two days, Miami was third in the championship standings with 311.5 points, a far cry from Akron and Buffalo, who had 506 and 494 points respectively.

On Saturday, Maier and Cannon both competed in the 200 butterfly. Maier finished second in 1:57.54, and Cannon was fourth in exactly 1:59.

The RedHawks had another strong relay race showing to cap off the meet, as the team of Maier, Lins De Mello, Botting and Brodie-Foy finished third in the 400 freestyle relay.

Miami retained its third-place spot after Saturday’s action, as Buffalo managed to edge out Akron for the first-place finish.

After the meet, the MAC handed out awards and honors. Maier was named MAC Freshman Swimmer of the Year, and earned a spot on the First-Team All-MAC, along with Brodie-Foy. Lins De Mello and Cannon were named Second-Team All-MAC.

The third-place finish concludes the team’s season.

@LukasTheDream

nelso156@miamioh.edu