The thrills of local politics

City Council candidates to debate on Oct. 30

The Miami Student will host its second City Council candidate debate in recent history on Wednesday, Oct. 30, in the Shriver Center’s John Dolibois Room. 

Jason Bracken, Glenn Ellerbe, Hueston Kyger, Chris Skoglind and Bill Snavely will take the stage in an effort to win over voters before the Nov. 5 general election.

The debate will feature moderator-prompted questions covering the topics of town-gown relations, economic and residential development and sustainability. 

Jason Bracken, a doctoral candidate at Miami University, is running for his first term on Council. He is a self-described progressive who wants to work with city staff on developing meaningful policy.

Glenn Ellerbe, currently serving his first term on Council, is running for reelection. Two of his pillars are land-use equity and the further development of multimodal transportation in Oxford.

Hueston Kyger, a life-long Oxford resident, said he doesn't have any campaign platforms, only the desire to keep moving Oxford forward.

Chris Skoglind, currently serving on the Historic and Architectural Preservation Commission, said he wants to improve town-gown relations and the mass transit system.

Bill Snavely, currently the chair of the Planning Commission, is running for Council on the platforms of  environmental preservation and affordable housing.

The five men are running for three open council seats.

The candidate debate will be livestreamed on Facebook for those who are unable to attend in person.

See The Student’s Facebook event for more information. 

@timcarlin_

carlintm@miamioh.edu