Field hockey aims to extend winning streak

Kennan Belau, For The Miami Student

The Miami University field hockey team hopes to build off its longest winning streak since 2010, and takes the road for two games this weekend.

The RedHawks play their second Mid-American Conference (MAC) game of the season 1 p.m. Saturday against Missouri State University (3-6, 1-0 MAC). It is the Bears home opener. Miami then faces non-conference opponent Saint Louis University 3 p.m. Sunday.

"We're really going to focus on carrying the momentum into the weekend," junior back Sid Marcum said.

The RedHawks and Bears have both played Georgetown University and Ohio State University. Miami won both games 7-1 and 2-1, respectively. Missouri State beat Georgetown 2-0, but lost to Ohio State 10-1.

Junior forward Hillary Lawless leads the Bears with five goals this season, matching junior forward Emily Gruesser's total to lead the RedHawks. However, Miami has greater depth in its goal scoring, with four other players with at least three goals this year.

Missouri State only has one other player, freshman midfielder Olivia Nicotera, with three goals this season. Two different goalkeepers have started games for the Bears, but junior Andrea Bain has starts this year. Bain has a 4.72 goals against average and a .614 save percentage. Junior goalkeeper Sarah Mueller has nine starts this year for the RedHawks and has a 2.67 goals against average and a .762 save percentage.

Saint Louis is 1-9, with its only win coming last Sunday against Ball State University. The Billikens lost to Missouri State 4-2 earlier this season and lost to Georgetown 4-1.
Saint Louis is being outscored 1.40 to 3.80 goals per game and is being outshot 14.5 to 10.1. Junior forward Tori Lycett leads the Billikens with four goals this year and two other players have scored three goals for Saint Louis. Sophomore goalkeeper Meg Depew-Brady has made all 10 starts for the Billikens and has a 3.80 goals against average and a .573 save percentage.

"We have a checklist of things to accomplish through the season and we are taking it game by game," Marcum said.

Trending