Oxford Township Trustee Candidate: John Kinne

Sam Kay, Editor in Chief

John Kinne is one of three candidates running for Oxford Township Trustee. The following is an extended version of the interview published in the print edition.

What are some ways for Miami University students and Oxford Township could collaborate?

The most obvious thing would be through volunteer organizations … The most important thing is first, do no harm, then see what kind of good you can do – one of the things I like about Oxford Township, it tends to be a good place to bicycle ride or run. My wife and I have a fifty acre tree farm, and it's not unusual to see students out here. We're also involved in our church, St. Mary's, and on occasion have students out here for various activities – if students want to do anything to improve the township, there are opportunities available, such as through churches and civic organizations. I really like seeing students and the community coming together – I'm very enthusiastic about the student population here, I think Oxford Township benefits immensely.

What is your approach to land use and conservation in Oxford Township?

I would like to see the land use in the township remain static and in good balance and harmony with conservation goals. I think the township has some wonderful farming land, some very good ecological features, some nice wildlife, and I'd like to see it preserved well into the future …  In the past 10 years, the township has reached about 10 new houses are year. I would certainly like to see that not speed up.

How would you approach working with the City of Oxford?

With a lot of enthusiasm. Miami and the city and township all need to have a balance with one another, I don't think any of them does well without the other. If you hold Miami and the city static and radically change the township, you end up with a less desirable place … I really think there's a synergy between these three entities.

Right now, the City of Oxford has zoning, but the township relies on county zoning. The problem is that there are some inconsistencies. I think there's some work to be done there, and I think those things are solvable. The township and city also need to continue to work together on the provision of fire and ambulance services … you don't want anybody taken advantage of in that situation … we need to work toward a fair [cost-sharing] solution for everyone involved.

What makes you the best candidate?

I am the best qualified candidate because of my enthusiasm for the position and my exceptional experience! 

In order to understand the desires of the people I have been campaigning door to door. The desire I hear most often is that people want a rural community around the City of Oxford. This is true for people in the city as well as in the unincorporated area. We want farms, woods, rural housing, clear air and a nice place to go for a ride or take a walk, and some of us want to see a few unusual birds and an occasional fox while we are out. This is the future most of us see for Oxford Township.  I am enthusiastic about this shared vision; I worked for it while I was president of the Oxford Audubon Society and I will work for it as a trustee. 

Of course people assume their basic needs are going to be met.  Police, fire, ambulance and road services have to be competently provided today while we plan our future.

And that is where my experience qualifies me.  I have decades of tactical experience, maintaining day to day operations, while planning strategically.  In my professional career I manage people, projects, equipment and money.  I prepare multi-year multi-million dollar plans and budgets; I abide by approved plans and meet expectations. 

I am also qualified because I've seen Oxford Township from so many points of view: as a student, a Miami employee, a Work From Home employee, and a person employed outside the township; I lived in College Corner, the City of Oxford and the unincorporated area as a renter, a home owner and the owner of a small tree farm.  

I am qualified because I can do the job, I want to do the job, and I am going to stay in Oxford Township for the rest of my life.  Where else could I want to be?