Food now available 24 hours in Shriver

Jennifer Leonard, For The Miami Student

The Shriver Center has dining service available to students 24 hours a day and all ages of student from first-years to seniors are taking advantage of the late-night food available.

Director of the Shriver Center, Mary Jo Nootz, explained that the 24-hour dining service Shriver offers includes food service from Haines Food Court, Tuffy's and the Spring Street Market located right across from Tuffy's ice cream.

At any given time, one of these areas is open, as are seating areas.

Nootz said that the food court itself is open until 3:30 a.m. Wednesday through Saturday because she and other members of the Shriver staff found that these were the days the center was most populated by students, especially in the evenings.

Students generally expressed excitement at the 24-hour availability of the sweet, greasy or salty comfort food available in Shriver.

First year De'Aaron Isaac said he comes to Shriver just about every day. Two weeks into the fall semester, Isaac and his friends have started calling their quick runs to the Shriver Center for lunch after class the "Shriver Bail."

He explained that he and his friends enjoy using Shriver as a common meeting place and the pick for lunch because it is a neutral spot in the middle of campus that is easy to get to after classes.

With the knowledge that Shriver dining is available 24 hours, Isaac said he would definitely frequent Shriver in the evenings from his residence hall on Western campus, whether to meet up with friends for dinner or even to find a quiet table to study.

In addition, sophomore Rob Wilson said he is excited about the 24-hour dining service that Shriver offers. Wilson said that he also visits Shriver often and enjoys the setting. Wilson explained that he has met with student groups for schoolwork purposes as late as midnight in previous semesters, so having available dining open late was great.

Senior Sydney Karp said, "I wish I was an incoming freshman still living on campus so that I would easily be able to go to Shriver late at night when it's open. Shriver being open all night long is ideal for studying, hanging out and eating."