City Council debates use of residential offices

Abbie Harper, Senior Staff Writer

As many Oxford homes are becoming student rentals, permanent residents are becoming more and more protective of the homes that aren't.

This struggle is exemplified in the McCarthy house controversy that culminated in the Oxford City Council meeting Tuesday night.

Prior to the meeting, the McCarthy's had requested a zoning change on their house from the Planning Commission, hoping to sell it to a business that would transform the home into a residential office.

"This would allow (the house) to keep its residential character while operating a business on the interior," Peter McCarthy said at the Tuesday meeting.

The Planning Commission denied the McCarthys' request so they brought their case to city council focusing on the undeniable value of their home.

The McCarthy house sits on Contreras Road within walking distance of uptown and is one many consider to be an important piece of Oxford's history. Although it is more than 100 years old, the house is not an official part of Oxford's historical district.

Now that the McCarthys want to move out, they say they are worried their house will become yet another student rental property.

"Our biggest fear is this beautiful home will be purchased as an investment opportunity," McCarthy said.

At the meeting, many Oxford residents expressed their disapproval of the house being turned into a residential office. Their concerns seemed to center on the issue of spot zoning, or changing the zoning of only one house in an area, making its zone different from that of the surrounding houses.

"I oppose (the McCarthy's) request," Ed Jackson, 57, an Oxford resident, said. "Spot zoning, in my opinion, can be contagious."

Although there is some opposition to the McCarthys' request, everyone who attended the city council meeting with an opinion on the subject seemed to agree the main goal was the preservation of the McCarthys' home.

"I would say the McCarthy house as it is now creates tremendous value in my property," said Oxford resident Kathy Ellison. "It would be a sad thing for everyone in this area if the house became something else altogether."

Councilman Greig Rutherford agreed the house is an important part of Oxford and said he saw no real pitfalls in allowing this zoning change.

Despite the clear and passionate contrasting views on this issue, all commentators seemed to agree that in order to preserve the house it must be kept out of the hands of students.

When arguing their case, the McCarthys pointed out the large number of houses being turned into rental properties, despite the fact that fewer Miami University students are now living in off-campus housing.

"Even with the vacancy rate, the transition from owner occupied to student rental is continuing," McCarthy said.

City council is scheduled to make a decision regarding the McCarthy house at their next meeting Tuesday, April 20. Citizens against spot zoning say a decision to allow spot zoning could mean more residential offices lie in Oxford's future.

Trending