Letters to the editor

Donations should target academics

I am writing to you about the recent $1 million donation made by the Van Voorhis family to provide "crowning touches to Cradle of Coaches Plaza," along with portions of the money "earmarked" for Miami University's Bicentennial Student Center. My objections with this issue arise about the decision to spend this much money while a hiring freeze was imposed, staff members are being fired and academic programs are being cut back. Is this really the best way in which this kind of money could be used? We are an institution of higher learning, so shouldn't our priorities be focused on providing the best education possible?

Spending a "gift" of this proportion on statues and a student center that most current students will never see built is a direct slap in the face of all students because the actions of the administrators show that providing high quality education is not their top priority.

As recently as last week, more budget cuts of up to $5 million were detailed in an article ("Miami cuts $5 million, aims for future balance," Aug. 25), which appeared on The Miami Student's front page.

This kind of doublespeak leaves me wondering about how this money could go to better use. I know the administrators will give a typical response about the ebb and flow of budgets and that these decisions are merely "necessary evils" that go along with balancing a budget and providing stability. However, to accept any answer along those lines should be an insult to every Miami student. Miami's recent drop in the U.S. News and World Report's ranking of best universities should serve as an indication that academic quality along with the necessary factors that facilitate it are slipping at Miami. I urge the administration to reconsider accepting this gift at this time and urge the generous donors to direct it to academic programs.

William MielnickiMIENLNIW@MUOHIO.EDU

Preacher should improve delivery

I am from the same faith as Brother Rick, the preacher who stood at the corner of Maple and Spring Streets Aug. 27.  I've seen him before, and I've attended a few services where he has been present. No, I don't do drugs, I bear no tattoos, I've not joined a sorority and by belief I don't wear pants or shorts.  However, I don't agree with the way Brother Rick chooses to spread the Gospel.

I attend class both here at Miami University's Oxford campus, and on occasion, in Hamilton. I interact daily with people of other faiths and belief systems, and I am friends with many people who claim to be atheist, Muslim and any number of religions that differ from my own. And though our beliefs are different, I choose not to force feed my religious values to them. They know that I am always willing to answer questions they have and are always welcome to attend a service with me if they so choose, but condemning everyone that walks the street is not a good way to make them want to become a Christian, or even a better Christian if they already claim to be one.

I believe that Jesus Christ was the example for us, and if you study the Bible, if you look at his life, he condemned where he had to, but mostly he showed compassion to sinners and believers alike. And if we are to live in his example, we should treat people with the same compassion as Christ did. If you live the life of a Christian, people will see the difference in you daily, you won't have to condemn them to hell to tell them you're different. Because, in the end we are all human, and as humans, the Bible states that we have no right to judge one another, "Judge not that ye be not judged" (Matthew 7:1, KJV) No one is better than the other and the Bible says that God is "no respecter of persons" (Acts 10:34, KJV)

Amanda Buellbuellam@muohio.edu