Former president of Honduras to share business experiences

Samantha Pisciotta

Both Honduran business and politics will be coming to Miami University in the form of one man: Ricardo Maduro Joest, the Central American country's former president.

Joest will present "Poverty, Democracy and Business" at 5 p.m. Oct. 5, in 100 Laws Hall.

Maduro was the sixth democratically elected president of Honduras, serving from 2002-06.

"This is an almost once in a lifetime opportunity for students to ask questions of a person who has met with world leaders, who has extensive business experience and who has seen firsthand the costs and benefits of globalization," said Melissa Thomasson, Maduro's daughter-in-law and associate professor of economics at Miami.

Both Thomasson and her husband work at Miami and the two often return to Honduras to visit Maduro. They worked with the World Affairs Council of Greater Cincinnati plan this event.

Maduro found his inspiration to become president through a family tragedy, after his son was kidnapped and then killed.

Prior to the incident, Maduro thought his personal life as well as business affairs would suffer if he ran for president, but he realized the country was badly in need of reform in many sectors, not only crime, Thomasson said.

He ran on the platform of reducing crime and he followed this promise by bringing troops out to the streets of large cities and imprisoning gang members.

An improvement in economic growth and reforms in government institutions were seen by the nation as his biggest accomplishments in office.

"He had the courage to make the right calls for the economy even when they weren't popular at the time," Thomasson said. "He was instrumental to get foreign debt recovered, started agreements with International Monetary Fund (IMF) and signed the Central America Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA)."

He started his career in business after graduating from Stanford University with a degree in economics. In 1983, the Honduran American Chamber of Commerce awarded Maduro their Businessman of the Year award. Then in 1997 he received the Boris Goldstein award from the Association of Managers and Businessmen of Honduras.

This success was then followed with an extensive political career, which lasted more than 15 years. During this time Maduro modernized and reorganized the National Party, the party under which he ran his political campaign, and also worked as coordinator of the country's economic cabinet from 1990-94.

Recently Maduro joined with former Honduran President Rafael Leonardo Callejas Romeo to deliver affordable wireless and Internet service across Central America through the new commercial venture WiTEL - a source of social services, like distance learning and telemedicine, to underserved and remote rural areas.

"Students will learn how they can work in both the public and private sectors and how the two intertwine to help one another," said Deborah Kittner, director of programs at the World Affairs Council of Greater Cincinnati and who was responsible for organizing this lecture. "After the speech, students will come to understand the infinite job possibilities in the overlapping sectors."

The World Affairs Council of Greater Cincinnati works closely with governments, businesses, different cultures around the world and educational bodies to aid in national awareness.

They are a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that is working with Miami because of a grant established by the Richard T. Farmer School of Business. This grant has allowed for teachers from Miami to travel to other countries and lecture at the World Affairs Council. In return, the World Affairs Council helps to bring international speakers to Miami.

The lecture is free and open to the public. Maduro's remarks can also be heard on WMKV 89.3 at 8 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 8.