Paolo Federico-O'Murchu

The U.S. cannot remain silent on Israel

The legacy of America's war on terrorism and subsequent Middle Eastern involvement will be one of ambiguous strategic aims combined with piercing hypocrisy. Our outrage over human rights is selective, and often ephemeral. America will blithely invade unfriendly countries such as Afghanistan and Iraq to "liberate" their oppressed citizens by deposing of autocracy. However, we turn a blind eye to a Palestinian human rights crisis intentionally started by Israel, or on a more horrific scale, Saudi Arabia's massacre of Yemenis. At least, though, America's attitude toward Saudi Arabia has ranged from wary to critical. The same cannot be said for our current government's unwavering and wholehearted support for Israel, a country which, in recent months has proved itself to be corrupt and shamefully violent.

The only baseball preview you need this season

The doldrums endured in the harsh winter months by baseball fans were hardly warmed by a Hot Stove this offseason. This free agent market was closer in consistency to collusion-riddled molasses than the quick flowing open-market that us baseball fans are accustomed to following.

U.S.-North Korea conflict shouldn't disrupt Olympics

As the eyes of the world turn to Pyeongchang for the Winter Olympics, many will also be side-eyeing its Northern neighbor. North Korea and the U.S. have continued to brashly threaten each other in order to curtail the other's aggressive military actions. Despite strong words from President Trump, America has failed at its primary objective with North Korea: preventing their attainment of a nuclear weapon. Recently, North Korea has demonstrated being on the verge of developing an Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM), capable of hitting the continental United States.

Be prepared to talk American politics in Europe

A couple weeks ago, on my way back from the Luxembourg campus, I encountered a group of teenagers in a gazebo adjacent to my house. These teenagers are Luxembourgish degenerates. They worship Machine Gun Kelly, party in parks and none of them are in school nor working. This motley group drew me into conversation; I live in a small town and the sight of another teenager surprised them. They were clearly engaged in nefarious activities; bottles were strewn everywhere and the smell of smoke was in the air. After assuring them that no, I'm not a cop, I'm an American, we started talking. One of the first questions asked by a Luxembourgish miscreant was how I viewed Speaker of the House Paul Ryan's healthcare legislation. This was an introduction to the amazing American political fluency exhibited by many Europeans.

Cozying up to Russia puts Syria in jeopardy

As we approach President Trump's 100th day in office, his presidency has been characterized as a pell-mell of big ideas trapped in a malaise of legislative failings. Hanging over this dubious litany of shortcomings is the cloud of Russian ties. It is still unclear to what extent the Russian allegations are legitimate accusations or the Democrats' attempt to destabilize Trump's presidency. It is clear though that some members of Trump's inner circle, specifically Mike Flynn, Jeff Sessions and Paul Manafort had improper and/or obfuscated communication with Russian officials. As such, it is inevitable and fair that Trump will continue to be dogged by Congressional investigations looking to uncover the whole truth.