Make the most of Miami’s Welcome Week and beyond with these events

Students exploring last year’s Mega Fair take in the various campus groups which organize events throughout the year at Miami.

As a new school year begins at Miami University, it can be difficult to know exactly what is going on around campus. The Miami Student has curated a list of events for both new and returning Miami students and community members to highlight ways to get involved in the community or de-stress from classes.

Step into the semester with welcome events

Thursday, Aug. 24 — Kayak Excursion at Hueston Woods (2 p.m.)

The Hueston Woods Nature Center is hosting this family-friendly kayaking event at Acton Lake, providing Oxford and Miami University community members with a chance to get to know the nature surrounding them better.

Monday, Aug. 28 - Thursday, Aug. 31 — “Welcome” MU Student Skates (9 - 11 p.m. each night)

Relieve some of the stress of moving in and the first week of classes by going to one of Goggin Ice Center’s free student skates. Make sure to bring a friend, and don’t forget your student ID for free admission.

Thursday, Aug. 31 — Rainbow Reception: Rodeo Edition (6 - 8 p.m.)

Make new connections and participate in fun activities at the largest LGBTQ+ student event of the year! Giveaways, refreshments, games, music, crafts and more will be available. 

Friday, Sept. 1 — Red Brick Friday (6 - 10 p.m.)

The City of Oxford presents Red Brick Friday, an event filled with live music performances, food trucks and activities for all ages! The event is located on High Street, with this month’s theme being Streets and Eats.

Friday, Sept. 1 — Back in the Swing of Things (6 - 9 p.m.)

For both dance majors and those who have never set foot on a dance floor, the Swing Syndicate at Miami presents an introductory swing dance event with instruction for beginners, as well as free snacks! Feel free to invent your own moves and have fun on the floor. You can find this event in Armstrong Student Center C.

Sunday, Sept. 3 — Mega Fair (11 a.m. - 3 p.m.)

Find out more about Miami University’s 600+ student clubs and organizations at this semesterly event in Academic Quad! A full list of the organizations in attendance will be provided sooner to the event. Consider joining the world of politics with Associated Student Government or try your hand at writing for The Miami Student.

Early September and beyond

Wednesday, Sept. 6 — MAP: Pop-Up [12 p.m. - 2 p.m.]

If Welcome Week isn’t enough for you, check out Miami Activities and late-night Programming’s Pop-up at Jocelyn Terrace. It’s an opportunity to learn about events beyond Welcome Week, as well as score some free souvenirs and food. Note: there are many MAP events throughout the school year, so be sure to check them all out.

Thursday, Sept. 7 — Office of Institutional Diversity Open House (3:30 - 5 p.m.)

Join the OIDI at their open house to learn more about student engagement opportunities and the resources that they provide! Refreshments will be available.

Friday, Sept. 8 — Art After Dark (9 p.m. - 12 a.m.)

MAP is hosting their semesterly Art After Dark in the Armstrong Student Center Pavillion! Enjoy crafts, activities and performances all night long!

Saturday, Sept. 9 — MAP Movie ft. “Cars”  (8 - 10 p.m.)

Come watch a movie with the rest of Miami’s new and returning students. A guaranteed fun way to bond with your future friends and get free snacks. Relax on the grass in Central Quad and dig into your popcorn while the silver screen flashes.  Refreshments will be available. 

Thursday, Sept. 14 — Tie-Dye with MAP [7 - 10 p.m.)

Get a snazzy new piece to add to your wardrobe with MAP. Come to Central Quad and have fun making your own tie-dye shirt for a completely free piece of Miami memento.

Saturday, Sept. 16 — Puppies and Pilates with MAP (9 - 11 a.m.)

Dogs are coming to Central Quad! Starring Miami’s many adorable canine friends, Puppies and Pilates is a great way to exercise your body while also getting to know the many counseling dogs that can occasionally be seen around campus. Join MAP for a relaxing and cuddly workout.

Tuesday, Sept. 19 — MAP Pop-Up (Taylor’s Version) (1 - 3 p.m.)

Come learn more about MAP and their upcoming activities at this Taylor Swift themed pop up! The event is located at the Joslin Family Terrace outside the Armstrong Student Center. 

Tuesday, Sept. 19 — Spill the Tea Languages Career Day (1:15 - 6:15 p.m.)

This event, sponsored by the Center for Career Exploration & Success, is available in-person or via Zoom. Tea and hors d'oeuvres are available while you network with potential internship or career opportunities and learn more about what future careers are available to students that are skilled in languages.

Thursday, Sept. 21 — MAP Taylor Swift Dance Party (9 - 11 p.m.)

Meet fellow Swifties in Central Quad to “shake it off” to some of Taylor Swift’s best songs! Visit MAP’s Instagram for more information. 

Friday, Sept. 22 — UniDiversity Fest (5:30 - 9 p.m.)

Celebrate Latin American culture and achievements at the UniDiversity fest! The event is located at Memorial Park Uptown.

Thursday, Sept. 28 —STEM Career and Internship Fair (1 - 5 p.m.)

Begin the internship or job search at Millett Hall through the Career Center’s in-person STEM Career Fair! Click here for more important information regarding the event.

Friday, Sept. 29 — MAP Craft Series: You’re Fired (7 - 10 p.m.)

MAP presents a craft night in collaboration with the Uptown pottery studio You’re Fired. Join or make friends in the Armstrong Student Center pavilion and paint pottery!

Have fun all year with these weekly events

Oxford Farmer’s Market — Every Saturday in Oxford Memorial Park (9 a.m. - 12 p.m.)

The Oxford Farmer’s Market is open every Saturday morning, year-round! Purchase locally made products and foods Uptown each week.

Yoga in the Park — Every Saturday in Oxford Memorial Park (9 - 10 a.m.)

Yoga is taught at Oxford Memorial Park Uptown, depending on good weather. This event is a good opportunity to practice mindfulness and spend time outdoors!

kwanwz@miamioh.edu

wahllm@miamioh.edu

Trending