Where are they now? Checking in on former RedHawks in pro baseball

<p>Since Adam Eaton retired in 2022, Miami doesn&#x27;t have a player in Major League Baseball</p>

Since Adam Eaton retired in 2022, Miami doesn't have a player in Major League Baseball

Opening Day, one of the most beautiful days, is finally upon us. That means a few things. First, and most importantly, America’s national pastime is finally back. Also, spring is coming and eventually summer. And finally, it’s time to check on the former RedHawks trying to make their names in pro baseball. 

Here they are, sorted by how recently they donned the red and white:

Jonathan Brand, right-handed pitcher, Boston Red Sox system

Jonathan Brand, the most recent Miami University RedHawk to be drafted into professional baseball, is set to start his first full season in the minors. In 2022, after an incredible senior season that saw Brand strike out 86 batters and finish with a 1.40 earned run average (ERA) in 77.1 innings, the Red Sox selected Brand in the eighth round of the MLB June Amateur Draft. 

Brand pitched two innings for the Red Sox rookie-ball affiliate, the Florida Complex League (FCL) Red Sox . He had three strikeouts and zero walks in those two scoreless frames.

It hasn’t been announced where Brand will start the 2023 season, but it’s likely that he will make his way to at least single-A ball this season, since he’s a 23-year-old with four seasons of college baseball experience. 

Sam Bachman, right-handed pitcher, Los Angeles Angels system

Sam Bachman, the only Miami RedHawk ever to be drafted in the first round of the June Amateur Draft, had a bit of a disappointing season in 2022. 

Bachman started just 12 games at Double-A, and averaged less than three innings per start. He struck out less than one batter per inning (6.18 K/9), which is surprising for a player with such electric stuff. He still battled some control issues, walking 25 batters in 43.1 innings. He also fought back injuries for most of his first season in pro ball, but he’s still the number six prospect in the Angels organization, according to MLB.com.

He spent the spring at the Angels’ big league camp, and threw four scoreless innings, striking out seven (an extremely promising sign). In his final appearance of the spring, Bachman’s fastball sat at 95-97 miles per hour and touched 99. He still hasn’t been added to the Angels’ 40-man roster, which means a call up to the majors probably isn’t quite imminent for Bachman yet.

Jacob Webb, right-handed pitcher, Boston Red Sox system

Jacob Webb had a great 2021 season for Miami, finishing with a 2.08 ERA and 59 strikeouts in 39 innings. That impressive performance and the 6-foot-5, 250 pound right hander’s heavy powerful stuff, led the Boston Red Sox to select him in the 14th round of the 2021 draft. 

After giving up just one run in 12 in his pro debut at the rookie and Single-A levels in 2021, Webb Started the 2022 season at Single-A. He moved up to High-A after striking out 39 batters in 24.2 innings at Single-A, and saw more success just two steps from the big leagues, striking out 45 in 29.0 innings and recording a 3.72 ERA. He threw three innings at Double-A at the end of the season. He threw one game at big league spring training this year and gave up four earned runs in a third of an inning. It’s likely he’ll start 2023 at Single-A or Double-A. 

Grant Hartwig, right handed-pitcher, New York Mets system

Hartwig, another big right handed pitcher, had a good enough 2021 at Miami to earn a contract from the New York Mets as an undrafted free agent (UDFA). 

Hartwig had a good pro debut, then erupted last season, recording a 1.75 ERA and 83 strikeouts in 56.2 innings across four levels of the minor leagues. He reached Triple-A in 2022, which is incredibly impressive for a player who wasn’t even drafted in 2021. 

He threw four scoreless innings and struck out four in four appearances at the Mets’ big league camp this spring, and he started out the season with Syracuse, the Mets’ Triple-A affiliate. He already appeared in a game, Syracuse’s second game of the season, and registered a win in a scoreless 1.2 innings.

Mets fans are starting to get excited about Hartwig’s ascension. 

Landon Stephens, outfielder, Atlanta Braves system

Stephens, who was signed as a UDFA by Atlanta in 2020, earned an invite to the Braves’ big league camp this spring, where he walked three times and didn’t record a hit in seven plate appearances across five games. 

Stephens saw some success in 2022, finishing with a .812 on-base plus slugging (OPS) across 321 at bats at High-A. He struggled mightily after a late call up to Double-A, where he hit just .114 in 79 at bats. It’s likely that he’ll start the season at either High-A or Double-A in 2022. Stevens, who is currently listed as a first baseman, will have an uphill battle toward a big league chance in a loaded Braves organization.

Hayden Senger, catcher, New York Mets system

The Mets drafted Senger in the 24th round of the 2018 draft after he batted .344 on the way to a First-Team All-Mid-American Conference honor.

He hasn’t seen much success in his professional career since, recording a .712 OPS in 919 at bats across all levels of the minors in four seasons. But still, he earned his third straight invite to big league camp with the Mets this spring. He had one hit in six at bats.

Senger is more known for his defense behind the plate than his bat. He’s a decent receiver with a quick release that allows him to throw out a lot of runners despite lacking an incredible arm. If he can continue to hone his skills behind the plate and hit a little bit better, there could be a spot on a big league team for Senger at some point as a back up.

***

After Adam Eaton retired after the 2021 season, Miami hasn’t had an alumnus in the big leagues. With former first rounder Sam Bachman’s impressive spring, and a few other former RedHawks turning some heads around pro ball, it seems likely that that won’t last the entire 2023 season.

schmelj2@miamioh.edu

@jackschmelznger