Just, thank you

I wrote my first opinion column when I was a freshman here at Miami. I was so intimidated by the thought of talking about myself in the newspaper that I made one of my professors read it over before I sent it to my editor. I was afraid of embarrassing myself.

Since then, I’ve written over 20 columns where pretty much all I did was talk about myself – and I’ve loved every second second of it. 

But, as I write my last for The Miami Student, I have nothing left to say about myself. 

I just want to say thank you. 

To Richard Campbell, for selling me on the Writing Scholars Program so well, that I decided to move more than 2,000 miles away from my Bay Area home to come learn from you (only for you to retire after having me for literally one class). I wish I could’ve had more time under your instruction, but you gave me the opportunity to step into the life I have now, and for that I’m forever grateful. 

To Fred Reeder Jr., for forcing me to write over 10,000 words, all in AP style, my second semester at Miami. You taught me how, even when feeling overwhelmed, stressed and intimidated, to suck it up and do the work anyways. I can’t thank you enough – it’s become one of my best skills. 

To Joe Sampson, for making me think “how could I explain this in a way that would make sense to my mom?” when writing news – she loves my work by the way. 

To Howard Kleiman, for instilling in me the knowledge of what’s illegal to put in print. (P.S. I’m sorry I ran out of the room in the middle of an exam that one time, but my birthday was the day before, and I was violently hungover and had to go throw up).

To Stephen Siff, for making me learn the basics of Excel against my will – that’d better come in handy. 

To Patti Newberry, for being so encouraging, honest, witty and the best role model any college journalism student could ask for. Congratulations on going back into the field!

To Jim Tobin, for, well, everything. I have been in six of your classes and they’ve all helped me become a better writer, thinker, reporter and person. Anytime you give me advice I take it to heart. My time as a journalism student at Miami wouldn’t have been half as fulfilling if I didn’t have you as a professor. Thank you for letting me know that the only thing standing between me and becoming a successful writer is my inability to write a second draft … working on it. 

To TMS and all those who are a part of it, for allowing me to drone on about myself in my work. Without you, I would’ve never found my voice as a writer, or my passion as a journalist. You are the reason I keep fighting to get better, and you inspire me on the daily.  

To my mom, for always posting about my work on Facebook, and single-handedly boosting my content interaction. Love you. 

To my dad, for making me apply here, even though I’d never heard of Miami University, and was sure I’d never end up in Ohio for four years. 

To Tom Garvey, for letting me rant about whatever it is I’m trying to put down on paper. Without our nights dedicated to me figuring out what I’m actually trying to say, I never would’ve said anything worth a damn. 

Finally, to Hannah Matthews, my roommate of four years. For all the rides to and from the newsroom, all the love and support and for making me think outside myself. Without you, I would be half the person I am today, and twice as annoying. 

To everyone who has helped me get to where I am from the moment I showed up in Ohio to now, for letting me do this work.

If you’ve ever read my columns, thank you. If it weren’t for you, everything I’ve published might've been compiled in a little pink diary. 

This has been so much better than a diary. 

@rebeccawolff16

wolffrg@miamioh.edu