“Keep Dreaming:” Miami Athletics inducts its ‘21 Hall of Fame class

<p>Hall of Fame inductee Nancy Sturgeon (&#x27;52) gives a speech during the ceremony.</p>

Hall of Fame inductee Nancy Sturgeon ('52) gives a speech during the ceremony.

Seven Miami University Athletics alumni were inducted into the university’s Hall of Fame last Friday for their outstanding achievements and contributions to the school’s athletics. 

The newest class of inductees features Suzanne D’Addario (‘94), Amanda Jackson (‘08), Bobby Kramig, Clark Mace (‘01), Edwin H. “Ed” Meador, Lori Reinart (‘96), and Nancy Sturgeon (‘52). 

A video presentation summarizing each inductee’s accomplishments introduced them before they gave individual speeches.

At the end of the night, all seven inductees received a special watch and plaque.

The class was recognized again the following day during halftime of the Redhawks’ football game against Long Island University.

Nancy Sturgeon, a three-sport athlete competing in field hockey, basketball, and tennis, almost thirty years before Title IX was passed, said she was honored when she heard about her induction.

“It was a complete surprise,” Sturgeon said. “It feels great.” 

Bobby Kramig spent 14 years as the men’s soccer head coach and 20 in the same position for the women’s team before retiring in 2017. He finished his career with a 218-153-32 overall record, four MAC Tournament victories, and three NCAA Tournament wins.

Despite being a decorated coach, Kramig said his Hall of Fame legacy represents the hard work and effort of the numerous players who played for him. He recognized those he coached who attended his induction by asking them to stand at one point during his speech. 

As Hall of Famers, some inductees had advice to pass on to future players in their respective programs. 

“Be humble,” said Lori Reinart, a volleyball alumna, to the next generation of women’s volleyball players.

Reinart was named MAC Player of the Year in 1996. In that same season, she led the Redhawks to a MAC title and a trip to the NCAA Tournament. She holds the school’s record for the most blocks in a single match with 14. 

Amanda Jackson left a mark on the women’s basketball program, graduating as the leading scorer (1,979). Her senior season success played a huge role in the Redhawks appearing in their first NCAA Tournament. The three-time All-MAC honoree ranks in the top 10 in 10 different categories. 

In her speech, she emphasized the importance of focus. 

“Develop a work ethic,” Jackson stressed. “Stay committed to the grind.” 

Suzanne D’Addario was named to the All-MAC First Team in field hockey each season following her freshman year. The field hockey star ranks sixth in program history in goals (37) and top eight in points (86). She never neglected the books, receiving two academic all-conference selections.

All the inductees recognized the people who helped them along the way. 

For Ed Meador, it was his late wife, Mary Virginia Meador, who joined his journey when she moved to Oxford after they married in 1954. She died on Aug. 31 of this year.

Meador photographed countless sporting events from 1952 to the late 1980s. His dedication to his work was evident, having once climbed to the top of a tower in a snowstorm to capture a football practice. 

Clark Mace, a baseball alumnus, ended his speech with an inspirational note for the audience. 

Mace had a dominant career at Miami that the MLB could not overlook. The London, Ohio native was selected in the 28th round of the MLB Draft by the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2001. 

His career batting average of .350 places him eighth all-time at Miami. The record-setter leads the program in categories such as career hits (316), runs (230), and RBIs (176). 

“A farm boy like me can make it up to the Hall of Fame,” said Mace. “It’s pretty cool.” 

Jackson was shocked that she was invited into the exclusive club. Like Mace, Jackson said this does not usually happen to people where she is from. 

“Who would’ve thought a kid from Springfield, Ohio, would stand in front of you,” Jackson said. “If a kid like me can do it, so can you.” 

Jackson had one last piece of advice.

“To all the dreamers out there, keep dreaming.”

pepperse@miamioh.edu