Miami to play Cincinnati at Millett Hall for first time in more than a decade

<p>Miami University has hired Travis Steele, former Xavier University head coach, to lead its men&#x27;s basketball team</p>

Miami University has hired Travis Steele, former Xavier University head coach, to lead its men's basketball team

The Miami men’s basketball team will play the Cincinnati Bearcats at home this year on Wednesday, Dec. 1.

This is the first time the team has played against Cincinnati since Nov. 29, 2011. The last time the Bearcats came to Millett Hall was Dec. 21, 2010, when the team beat the RedHawks 64-48.

“This is an awesome game to have on our non-conference schedule. From a proximity standpoint, as close as we are, I think this is a great series and look forward to hopefully building on this in the future,” Miami head coach Jack Owens said in a press release by the university.

The move ignites a dormant rivalry, as the two teams will face off against each other for the 148th time. Cincinnati leads the all-time series, 94-53. 

The RedHawks and Bearcats had identical records at 12-11 last year. Miami brings back twelve players from last season, including fifth-year senior Dalonte Brown, junior Dae Dae Grant and senior Mekhi Lairy. Cincinnati loses its leading scorer from last year, Keith Williams, but still returns some of their key players.

The schools will also renew their rivalry in football this year, as the series was put on hold last year due to Miami’s conference-only schedule in 2020.

The rest of the RedHawks’ men’s basketball schedule will be announced at a later date.

nelso156@miamioh.edu

@LukasTheDream