Miami softball loses to Notre Dame in NCAA Tournament

<p>Senior pitcher Courtney Vierstra high-fives junior catcher Allie Cummins during a weekend series vs Buffalo.</p>

Senior pitcher Courtney Vierstra high-fives junior catcher Allie Cummins during a weekend series vs Buffalo.

The RedHawks were able to score a couple of runs in today’s NCAA Tournament game against the Fighting Irish, but they fell a run short and lost 3-2. 

For the first three innings, all was quiet. Notre Dame and Miami each had just one hit, as senior Courtney Vierstra and junior Payton Tidd were locked in. 

The action started to kick up in the fourth inning. Second baseman Karli Spaid singled to lead off the inning. Designated hitter Allie Cummins walked and first baseman Holly Blaska singled to load the bases. 

Catcher Riley Coyne reached first base on a fielder’s choice to get Spaid out at home. Third baseman Mackenzie Moore brought one run in on a sac fly, and shortstop Adriana Barlow singled to give the RedHawks a 2-0 lead. 

Senior Alexis Hollaway, Notre Dame’s other ace pitcher, relieved Tidd and got the final out of the inning.

Notre Dame fought back in the bottom of the fourth. After a leadoff infield single and a walk, the Fighting Irish took a one-run lead on a three-run homer by left fielder Leea Hanks.

Miami couldn’t produce any more runs through the rest of the game. Though Vierstra settled down after the home run and managed to pitch six innings, the RedHawks could only muster one more hit the rest of the game.

After the loss, Miami moves to the loser’s bracket of the Lexington Regional. The team will play the Northwestern Wildcats. If the RedHawks manage to beat Northwestern, they will play the winner between Notre Dame and Kentucky. If they lose, their season is over.

@lilyfreiberg

freibell@miamioh.edu