Miami baseball couldn’t get the bats working against the Wildcats

The Miami RedHawks lost their winning streak when they played against the University of Kentucky today. 

The RedHawks lost, 5-1. 

The Wildcats got off to a great start in the first inning with a two-run homer and two more solo home runs, giving them a 4-0 lead.

Kentucky put one more run on the scoreboard with two doubles in the third inning. 

But Miami wasn’t completely shut out. 

In the fifth inning, shortstop Tyler Wardwell doubled, right fielder Parker Massman walked and center fielder Cristian Tejada reached first base on a fielding error from the Wildcats’ third baseman. 

As the bases were loaded, third baseman Brian Zapp singled to bring in Miami’s only run in the game.

Miami had opportunities to bring in more runs, but 10 runners were left on base throughout the whole game. 

In the second inning, designated hitter Stephen Krause reached first base on a fielding error by the University of Kentucky’s first baseman, and Stolze doubled. Wardwell fouled out to the pitcher, stranding Krause and Stolze.

In the eighth inning, second baseman Will Vogelgesang doubled, Krause singled and pinch hitter Cole Andrews walked. Pinch runner Dalton Back was picked off, and Stolze struck out looking to end the inning, also stranding two players. 

Miami left one player on base in the fourth, sixth, seventh and ninth innings, and despite bringing in one run in the fifth inning, two players were stranded in the end. 

The RedHawks take on Florida International University in a four-game series this weekend. The first pitch is set for Friday at 7 p.m.

freibell@miamioh.edu 

@lilyfreiberg