ASG passes resolution requiring more orgs to complete DEI training

<p></p>

Miami University’s Associated Student Government (ASG) passed a resolution to require more student organizations to complete inclusive leadership training in order to receive funding at its Oct. 20 meeting.

ASG uses a four-tier system called Red Brick Rewards that determines how much funding organizations can request, with tier one being able to request the least funding and tier four being able to request the most. To move up a tier, organizations must complete certain requirements.

Currently, only tier three and four organizations are required to complete inclusive leadership training annually. The resolution, authored by on-campus senator Evan Gates, proposed moving the requirement down to include tier two organizations as well.

According to the resolution, only 46% of organizations are considered tier three or four this semester and are therefore required to complete the training. If the requirement was moved down to tier two, 80% of organizations would have to complete it this academic year.

Brandon Small, ASG’s secretary for diversity and inclusion, sponsored the resolution. He said they decided to move the requirement down to tier two rather than tier one because most tier one organizations are very small and often don’t request any funding.

“Tier one is the bare minimum for an organization to exist on campus,” Small said. “We felt it would be more equitable to reserve this [training] for tier two because that’s where we start getting into organizations that have the manpower to attend them, and the vast majority of organizations will still be receiving the training.”

Ian Chenkus, a senator who has served as the treasurer of multiple organizations, said he supported the resolution because the current tier three requirements are relatively difficult to meet, so many organizations don’t bother to move past tier two.

“Tier two doesn’t have a lot [of requirements] that you have to do, and then tier three was more of a hurdle,” Chenkus said, “so I think moving [the training] down to tier two would be a lot smarter and would break up the requirements a bit.”

ASG passed the resolution unanimously.

phabymr@miamioh.edu