Miami will return to in-person classes this month; dorms will limit density

<p>Miami will return to in-person classes on Sept. 21, with a reduction in residence hall density by around 40%.</p>

Miami will return to in-person classes on Sept. 21, with a reduction in residence hall density by around 40%.

Miami University will return to in-person classes as planned on Sept. 21, wrote President Greg Crawford in a university-wide email, with residence hall move-in beginning next week. 

“We know some will disagree with this decision, which we deeply respect,” Crawford wrote. “We listened to and understand the concerns and share them. We care about the health and well-being of our campus community and our neighbors in Oxford and Butler County. There are no simple answers or straightforward paths to follow that are risk free.” 

Residence hall density will be limited by around 40%, and students will be required to take a COVID-19 test on their assigned move-in day. Crawford said residential students will receive a more detailed letter later today about what to expect when living on-campus.

Crawford wrote that students will have flexibility in their decision-making process. 

Students who originally chose the in-person learning option before the Aug. 21 deadline have the option to change their decision and go fully remote for the semester. 

Students can also delay their return to the residence halls if they feel uncomfortable returning at this time. Delayed move-in dates of Oct. 3 and 4 will be available. 

If students wish to change from their original choice, they must update their decisions by Sept. 18. If a student has no changes to make, no updated decision needs to be submitted.

As of yesterday, Miami’s Oxford campus had 1,037 active student cases of the coronavirus, according to the COVID-19 dashboard.

@miamistudent

eic@miamistudent.net