Mini University reopens its doors to the Miami community

<p>Mini U is re-opening it&#x27;s doors after being closed for nearly three months. </p>

Mini U is re-opening it's doors after being closed for nearly three months.

After being closed for nearly three months due to the coronavirus pandemic, Miami University’s on-campus childcare center, Mini University (Mini U), reopened on July 6.

Lauren Kolks, director of Mini U, said the center has put several precautions in place to keep the children safe amid concerns about the pandemic. 

These precautions include more frequent handwashing, putting plexiglass in certain areas to promote social distancing, running classes at half capacity and taking children’s temperatures before allowing them to enter the building.

Kolks said Miami made many of these changes possible by supporting the center as it transformed itself into a safer environment for the children.

“Miami has been wonderful about providing us whatever we’ve needed to be able to maintain social distancing as best we can with small children,” Kolks said.

Kolks said Mini U’s reopening day was a success and seeing all the children coming together again has created a rare sense of normalcy for the center’s staff and families in the Miami community.

“It’s been so heartwarming to see the children playing and enjoying their time together,” Kolks said. “You see the children and how happy they are, and it lets you believe that there’s still innocence in the world amongst all the craziness that is taking place.”

Mini U is open 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and is offering virtual tours to prospective families via its website.

“We’re here, we’re ready to serve all of our Miami families again,” Kolks said, “and we’re excited to be reopen with the children here.”

phabymr@miamioh.edu