Miami offering phased reopening; undergraduate classes online for first month

<p></p>

Undergraduate classes will begin in an online-only format for the first five weeks of the fall semester for all Miami University campuses. Miami will also offer a phased return to campus plan for students.

In a university-wide email sent Monday afternoon, President Greg Crawford outlined three options for students: participating in the phased return, engaging in remote learning for the entire semester or taking a gap semester or year.

Every student is required to select an option by Aug. 21. Decisions can be made here, and they cannot be changed once they are made.

“As a University, we must continue to be adaptable, with the health and safety of our community as our first priority,” Crawford wrote. “Following best practices for opening universities, we will sequence the return to campus in multiple phases. This will give us the opportunity to review lessons learned at each interval and adapt accordingly. In the end, we hope this will provide the best opportunity for a successful return to campus later this fall.”

Students participating in the phased return to campus will be credited $750 dollars from the bursar. First- and second-year students who choose to come to campus are now expected to move in during the week of Sept. 14. 

Students who will be living on campus will receive discounted housing and meal-plan bills reflecting the fewer weeks they will spend at Miami. Second-year students also have the option to opt out of their residence hall requirement and move off-campus if they choose.

Those who choose the phased return option must also sign Miami’s Healthy Together pledge.

In-state students who choose to remain online for the entire semester will receive a $1,000 credit, and out-of-state students choosing to remain online all semester will receive $2,000. Students who remain online will also be released from their on-campus housing and meal plan contracts for the semester.

The gap semester or year option is reserved for both newly admitted and transfer students at the Oxford campus. It will allow students to defer enrollment to spring or fall 2021 with scholarship offers still intact. Deferral options for both returning and regional campus students are unclear at this time.

According to an email sent to faculty from Provost Jason Osborne, all campuses are currently open, and services will continue as allowed by current health guidelines, according to Osborne’s email. This includes access to libraries, research labs and studios. 

Graduate classes are still scheduled to begin in their previously decided format on Aug. 17.

Correction: A previous version of this story stated Miami was moving online for four weeks of classes instead of five.

@timcarlin_

@briah_lumpkins 

carlintm@miamioh.edu   

lumpkibm@miamioh.edu