Established 1826 — Oldest College Newspaper West of the Alleghenies

Football returns — Chuck Martin waits for contract extension to become official

<p>In Miami&#x27;s last 31 Mid-American Conference games, Chuck Martin has led the RedHawks to a league-best 23-8 record.</p>

In Miami's last 31 Mid-American Conference games, Chuck Martin has led the RedHawks to a league-best 23-8 record.

A Miami University football Twitter account spilled the beans.

Only an hour after the pigskin RedHawks finished their first spring practice of the year Sunday, the Miami RedHawks Football Recruiting Twitter page announced “MAJOR NEWS.”

It tweeted Chuck Martin had signed a five-year contract extension with Miami. 

Since then, the post has remained online, but no other Miami-affiliated social media account or website has confirmed the extension. The deal is not yet official but is expected to be approved in the coming days, a team source told The Miami Student.

According to the contract obtained by The Student via the Miami Hawk Talk page, Martin’s nominal pay will increase to $550,000 per year. 

Martin’s signature on the contract is dated March 4, as is Miami Senior Vice President for Finance and Business Services David Creamer’s. University President Greg Crawford and Director of Athletics David Sayler inked the papers the next day.

Martin’s previous deal was set to expire after the 2020 season.

With no mention of the extension at practice Sunday, Martin was still in his element.

“It’s fun for me,” Martin said about spring ball kicking off. “I missed everything about it, starting with the kids and the coaches. Then, I just missed football. I love it.”

The RedHawks are back in action after a shorter offseason than they’ve had the past couple years. 

After failing to appear in the Mid-American Conference Championship game or a bowl game in 2017 and 2018, they began their offseason around Thanksgiving. This year, they turned a nearly-four-month break into two months.

Enjoy what you're reading?
Signup for our newsletter

Miami started its offseason Jan. 7 — the day after its LendingTree Bowl loss to Louisiana.

“[The shorter break] was weird, but it’s also awesome,” rising redshirt senior wide receiver Jack Sorenson said. “We just get more football. With this year being my last year, I want as much football as I can get.”

Sorenson dealt with leg injuries throughout the 2019 season, but he said he feels fine. He wore a precautionary knee brace Sunday.

“Obviously, the more recovery time you have, the better it is for any injury,” Sorenson said. “But the trainers are so good, and we had such a good plan during the season, I was really, really healed up by the end of the season.”

After their first MAC Championship victory in nearly a decade, the RedHawks now start their quest to defend their crown. 

“I don’t think I’m going to have a hard time motivating them,” Martin said. “My kids like football, and they like to work. I’m pretty confident in this group.”

@ChrisAVinel

vinelca@miamioh.edu

Comments