ASG supports online diplomas, attends bystander training

<p></p>

Miami University's Associated Student Government (ASG) passed a bill supporting the registrar's online diploma proposal at its meeting on Tuesday, March 3. 

The new system would provide all students with an online, rather than paper, diploma after graduation. This online certificate is instantly verifiable and therefore more secure, said Mandy Euen, university registrar. 

Miami used to see cases of academic fraud with fake diplomas about once a year, said Farmer School of Business Senator Dan Bosworth. Recently, however, the registrar’s office is facing one or two cases a month. The electronic program would let employers verify credentials with a code graduates provide, with the aim of reducing the amount of fraud that the university faces. 

If Miami adopts this system, it would join dozens of other schools, including the University of Cincinnati, who use the online diplomas certified with TruSeal

Currently, $10 of every student's matriculation fee covers the printed diploma. Although an electronic diploma only costs the school $3.30 to issue, Miami plans to keep the matriculation fee the same, at least at first. The additional $6.70 that the university saves per student hasn’t officially been allocated, but the registrar’s office is interested in providing something along with the diploma case, such as a medallion, at graduation. 

If students want a paper diploma, they can order one through the website Paradigm, Inc. for $4.70 (including $1.35 for shipping). The proposal is expected to be finalized in time for next year’s December commencement ceremonies. 

After rejecting Off-Campus Senator Ben Finfrock’s amendment, which supported the elimination of the additional fee to order a print diploma, the senate passed a resolution to support the implementation of e-Diplomas.

The vote occurred after ASG attended a Bystander Intervention training, provided by Women Helping Women. Off-Campus Senator Shelby Frye said the senate was poorly behaved during this training. She said the side conversations were out of control and that the presenter noticed senators on their phones. 

“We need to think about what we say … and then think about how we, as leaders on campus, behave,” Frye said to the assembled senate during the announcements from the chair. 

Also at the meeting, Effie Fraley, secretary for on-campus affairs, gave a yearly report. As part of this presentation, they said 1,300 of the 9,000 meal swipes acquired by ASG’s November Meal Swipe Donation Program have been reallocated by the Student Success Center to students in need. 

coxaj4@miamioh.edu