Track looks to perform in final home meet

By Ben Blanchard, Sports Editor

The Miami University track and field program is set to host the RedHawk Invitational this weekend, its final home meet of the year. The RedHawks look to build from strong performances last weekend at Stanford, Ohio State and Virginia.

Senior distance standout Joe Stewart will run the 1500m, and this will be the final home race of his Miami career.

"I'm really excited for the meet. It's always great to run at home," Stewart said. "Since the 1500 isn't my main event, I'm just going to go out there and try to have fun with it"

Last weekend at the Stanford Twilight meet, Stewart qualified for the NCAA East Regional in the 5,000m in 14:04.40, a personal best by ten seconds. This finish was good enough for eighth overall in a field of the top collegiate and post-collegiate runners in the country.

This NCAA Regional mark is Stewart's second this season, as he qualified for the 10,000m in 29:03.79 at the Stanford Invitational earlier this season. This is still the fastest time of any Mid-American Conference runner this season, and is the second fastest time ever by a Miami athlete. Stewart ranks ninth in the NCAA, and is seeded fourth in the East Regional.

Miami will also look to senior high-jumper Peter Stefanski for a strong performance following his second place leap of 6-9.75 at OSU. Stefanski's personal best of 6-10.75 ranks him 39th in the NCAA East Regional.

"I'm happy with how I competed at Ohio State. There was a lot of good competition there," Stefanski said. "Hopefully I can improve upon that performance this weekend, it would be great to set a personal record on Senior Day at home."

Senior Kathie Wollney also scored for MU at Ohio State, finishing fourth overall in the 400m hurdles in 59.92, a personal best. This ranks her third in the Mid-American Conference standings.

Senior Kenny Glenn has been multi-event contributor for the Red and White, as he won the 100m, long jump and anchored the winning 4x100m relay two weeks ago at the Ball State Challenge.

Junior Andrew Dusing also stood out at Ball State, as he automatically qualified for the MAC championship in the 800-meter run with his winning time of 1:50.94. This ranks him third in the MAC.

Junior shot-putter Arionna Darling has been a consistent point-winner for the RedHawks this season, but was unable to score last weekend at the Virginia Challenge. She looks to improve upon her personal best of 51-9, which currently ranks her 17th in the NCAA East Regional.

The RedHawk Invitational begins on the Rider Track Saturday morning. Admission is free.