RedHawks open MAC play with 2-0 record

D01116 Soccer vs Valparaiso
D01116 Soccer vs Valparaiso

By Harrison Schwarz, staff writer

A 2-1 win against Bowling Green State University and a 1-0 win against Eastern Michigan University on Sunday gave the Miami University women's soccer team a perfect start to its Mid-American Conference schedule.

Head coach Bobby Kramig and his team kicked off the weekend strong against Bowling Green (4-5-1, 0-2 MAC) on Friday.

"This was a typical MAC soccer game tonight," Kramig said. "I give a lot of credit to Bowling Green. They are a tremendously improved team. They gave us a hard time tonight and scored a beautiful goal. I'm very pleased by the resiliency our kids showed tonight. We showed a lot of character, and I'm proud of the team tonight."

The 'Hawks (6-3, 2-0 MAC) dominated possession for most of the first half, outshooting the Falcons 7-2 and taking eight corner kicks to Bowling Green's two.

Despite nine total shots, no goals were scored in the first half, but goals were aplenty in the second half.

MU freshman forward Korrie Sauder was the first to score after a pass from senior midfielder Haley Walter in front of the six-yard box in the 49th minute. The RedHawks seemed to get another goal when Walter headed the ball in the net after a cross, but she was whistled offside.

The Falcons answered with a goal of their own in the 73rd minute when freshman midfielder Erica Hubert fired a shot past MU junior goalie Vic Maniaci from the 18-yard box.

Miami settled down, and in the 82nd minute, sophomore forward Kat Zalar served up a perfect cross and junior midfielder Rachel Marble headed the ball in to make the game 2-1. Bowling Green could not counterattack, and Miami held on to win.

The RedHawks started slow against Eastern Michigan (3-6-1, 0-2 MAC), and the Eagles took advantage with a couple shots in the first six minutes, but they went off target.

EMU outshot Miami 6-1 by the 14th minute, but the 'Hawks defense weathered the storm. The scariest moment came just before the 14th minute when Eagles junior defenseman Rachel Washburn knocked a header off the crossbar.

However, with three seconds left in the second half, sophomore midfielder Katie Alexander scored a header off of senior midfielder Jess Bronke's corner kick.

Senior defender Lauren Kelly said she sees her team's hard work paying off.

"It's a great feeling to start the season off 2-0," Kelly said. "We've prepared all season for this, and we're ready to get the season rolling."

Miami continues MAC play next Friday against Central Michigan University.