Miami dining services launches student feedback surveys for fall

By Krista Savage, News Editor

Throughout the past week, Miami University Dining Services has been collecting customer feedback through an online survey to evaluate the process of their current operations and investigate improvement options for the 2015-16 school year.

Feedback cards are placed at almost every dining location on campus, and each one includes a URL of an online survey that students, faculty and staff can complete. The survey can also be accessed through MyMiami. Upon completion, students receive a $5 coupon to MapleStreet. The survey is accessible on MyMiami through today.

During the survey, customers answer questions about their favorite and least favorite dining locations, their favorite food options and even what brand of coffee they would most like to see on campus. When choosing their favorite foods, customers are presented with a wide variety, ranging from Asian cuisine to home-style cooking.

Customers can also rank their preferences from "very important" to "not at all important" on topics like the importance of nationally-recognized brand name foods, value-to-price ratio and the availability of healthy options on campus.

At the end of the survey, students are asked to define how they value a dining experience.

According to Miami Dining Manager of Computer Systems and Marketing Mark Andrea, customers' values are of high regard when collaborating for renovations and upgrades to dining facilities.

"Clearly our customers hold a very important role," Andrea said. "We are here to listen to them and respond in the best way possible."

So far, over 2,000 individuals have responded to the surveys, but the goal is 2,500. This includes the students, faculty and staff Miami Dining Services serves - approximately 20,000 each day, both in Oxford and regional campuses.

Since 2001, the Demske Culinary Support Center (DCSC) has stood as the backbone of Miami Dining Services. It serves as a warehouse, production center and distribution hub for all food served at Miami. When results from surveys are gathered, DCSC staff organize and evaluate the results and designs strategies to incorporate the feedback for fall renovations.

For the last several years, Miami has completed similar surveys and enforced the same set of procedures.

"In the fall survey, we heard many concerns regarding buffet or all you can locations declining on campus," said Kim Kinsel, associate vice president for Auxiliaries. "After the fall survey, we converted Western to Buffet service for the start of the spring semester."

According to the Miami Dining Service's website, if at any time during the school year a student has a suggestion or complaint regarding dining services, he/she should talk to a manager at the dining location or fill out our feedback form through the dining website.