Opinion | GLBTQ services recognize accepting groups

Colin Sexton, glbtq@miamioh.edu

Dear Miami Community,

GLBTQ Services would like to celebrate the work of Student Health Services, Career Services and the Campus Ministry Center. Each of these organizations has worked to become more accepting by participating in Safe Zone Trainings and learning more about the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ) community at Miami. Student Health Services (SHS) offered employees an opportunity to participate in Safe Zone Trainings during work hours. Twenty-six employees took advantage of this opportunity.

Further, SHS held two lunch time educational sessions around LGBT inclusion, which were attended by 23 employees. SHS improved their patient intake form to be inclusive of transgender folks and changed both restrooms into family rooms, allowing them to be gender neutral.

SHS also invited Spectrum to host a meeting in their facilities in order to have a discussion about health and inclusion. Additionally, Counseling Services has a dedicated LGBT liaison on staff. Career Services has also hosted a Safe Zone Training, which was attended by 14 members of both the full-time and student staff. It created an informational guide for LGBT students seeking jobs, which will soon be featured on their website.

Additionally, members of Career Services have attended webinars and educational programs through the "Out for Work" program. The Campus Ministry Center (CMC) has also hosted several Safe Zone Trainings at its Uptown location. It has generously allowed Spectrum and GLBTQ Services to use the space regularly, such as for the upcoming Ga(y)la that will be held Tuesday, Feb. 5 from 6 to 8 p.m. at the CMC. Additionally,

CMC has not only strived to become an accepting space, but also requires anyone who wishes to host an event at their location to recognize that the CMC is a Safe Zone. The Safe Zone Program invites everyone to create a safer and more supportive campus climate for sexual and gender minorities and their allies. This program engages students, staff and faculty across all departments and offices at Miami University.

The Safe Zone mission is to promote an environment where the LGBTQ community and their allies flourish intellectually, socially and emotionally. We envision the program as a visible network of allies who support each other and support individual LGBTQ people.

We hope to build a climate where everyone feels safe and accepted. GLBTQ Services would like to thank the more than 500 people who have gone through Safe Zone Training in the past four years.

Some participants have even elected to have their names listed on GLBTQ Services website (www.miamioh.edu/SafeZone) as a resource to the community. We are very grateful for everyone's effort in making Miami a more inclusive community.

Trending