Brice fails to keep audience's attention

Lee Brice performed for a crowd of mixed reviews Wednesday night at Brick Street. Brice’s lengthy encore left fans disappointed and wanting more.

Emily Ketterer, Senior Staff Writer

Lee Brice performed for a crowd of mixed reviews Wednesday night at Brick Street. Brice’s lengthy encore left fans disappointed and wanting more. (Lauren Olson | The Miami Student)

Continuing with Brick Street Bar & Grill's legacy of bringing great country acts to Oxford, Lee Brice took the stage last Wednesday with mixed crowd reactions.

Brice had two great opening acts, including up and coming artist Chancie Neal. The young singer-songwriter wowed Brick Street's audience for the second time singing "Silverado" and her cover of "Strawberry Wine." After Neal left the stage to overwhelming applause, Brice made a delayed entrance to the sold-out, eagerly awaiting crowd.

Brice started off his set strong with songs including "She Ain't Right" and his most recent chart topper "Hard to Love," garnering a huge crowd response, and another hit, "Love Like Crazy," came toward the middle of the show, with one of the biggest crowd reactions. Senior David Pohlman created one of the only signs in the crowd.

"My sign says 'Biscuits and Gravy' instead of 'Love Like Crazy' as a joke," Pohlman said. "I am a huge fan and I wanted to get his attention."

Despite excellent performances of his hit songs, Brice never seemed to make a connection with the packed audience. He had a more reserved stage presence leaving the whole concert experience a little lackluster.

"He is a great singer and I appreciated that part but there were times where I just didn't think he was that great," said junior Sydney Fiedler.

After Brice's cover of Steve Miller Band's classic "The Joker", the artist played some of his lesser-known songs including "Picture of Me" leaving the audience wanting more. When Brice emerged for the encore he played a mostly instrumental song and the majority of the crowd cleared out, losing interest.

"For the encore I waited for a big finish song like 'Hard to Love', but I didn't even recognize what he was playing so I was a little disappointed," Fiedler said. "I have been to a lot of country concerts and this one definitely wasn't one of my favorites."

Country fans still have much to look forward to with Thompson Square and Thomas Rhett both coming to Brick Street later this semester. For more information go to www.brickstreetbar.com/.