Tornados compel precautions

Ross Cosyns

Slowly but surely, spring is approaching Oxford, bringing warmer weather and more chances to enjoy outdoor sports and activities. But the change in seasons and warm weather that comes with it isn't all fun and games.

Spring also marks the beginning of another season - tornado season.

Oxford and the Miami University campus lie in the far eastern tip of the area commonly known as Tornado Alley. The area spans from North Dakota down to Texas and across parts of southwestern Ohio.

Although surrounding areas of Butler County have seen numerous tornados touch down in recent years, Oxford has had no cases of confirmed tornados.

But Chris Church, a physics professor at Miami and a specialist in tornado research, said students shouldn't take tornados lightly just because none have touched down in Oxford.

"In the past, there hasn't been any real confirmed tornado damage," Church said. "But there have been wind damages reported - there have been questions as to whether tornado activity has or has not been the cause."

Church added that students should read the university's Emergency Procedures Handbook. The handbook, available online, lists emergency numbers and gives specifics on how to determine if a tornado is in the area and what to do if a tornado strikes.

Although no tornado has touched down in Oxford recently, Oxford Fire Chief Len Endress said last tornado season the National Weather Service issued two tornado warnings to Oxford.

"One of the warnings, if I remember correctly, was a tornado-like funnel high in the clouds that never came down," Endress said. "The other one went up north to the Middletown area."

Endress also said students and Oxford residents should take the proper precautions to ensure their safety in the event a tornado should touch down in Oxford.

"The biggest thing we stress is to make sure people can operate on their own for 72 hours after a severe weather situation," Endress said. "This means packing food, water and any medications they might need in a kit. This really applies to both students and Oxford residents."

The Cincinnati area chapter of the Red Cross has also issued a list of safety tips for severe weather. The list, found online at www.cincinnatiredcross.org, gives tornado tips like finding shelter if a tornado is in the area and, if underground, to move to an interior room or hallway on the lowest floor.

For more information about tornado and severe weather safety, visit the Red Cross Web site or call the organization at (513) 579-3010.

Trending