Diversity Affairs invites students to 'painting party' in new office

The Office of Diversity Affairs hopes to attract students from all organizations to their newly renovated rooms. The office moved into Kreger Hall last semester.  --MIHIR DEVARE/The Miami Student
The Office of Diversity Affairs hopes to attract students from all organizations to their newly renovated rooms. The office moved into Kreger Hall last semester. --MIHIR DEVARE/The Miami Student

Ida Lieszkovsky

The Office of Diversity Affairs is giving Miami University students a chance to leave their mark at Miami-literally.

Due to the renovation of Warfield Hall, the Office of Diversity Affairs (ODA) was forced to relocate to the basement of Kreger Hall during the 2007 spring semester. To add a finishing touch to the new office, they will be holding a mural painting party Wednesday.

Jessica Hercule, a student assistant in the ODA, said that although the new office space now has an inviting and professional atmosphere, this was not always so.

"The space had paint chipped away on the walls and the ceiling," she said. "It was drab-very dull."

According to Hercule, the space has undergone extensive renovations including new paint and new carpeting as well as the separation of the area into several smaller offices, in contrast to the single large open area it was prior to the renovations.

"The designers were very purposeful," said Eloiza Domingo-Snyder, director for diverse student development. "They looked for what the students wanted and how to get their attention."

Doming-Snyder said the restorations on the office took two to three months and were funded primarily by the division of student affairs.

"We are very grateful to the division of student affairs for the great renovations; we're just thrilled with the results," Domingo-Snyder said.

The ODA supports the 40 organizations that are a part of the diversity affairs council, and also runs such events around campus as the community advocacy alliance, and the Let's Talk dialogue series.

"(The ODA) is committed to creating a more inclusive environment at Miami, one that is welcoming for all regardless of race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or gender," Domingo-Snyder said.

In light of the role that the ODA plays, they felt it was fitting for them to choose to decorate their freshly painted space not with expert brush strokes but rather by the hands of the university students for whom the office exists.

According to Domingo-Snyder, the painting party will be open to all students, and the organizations that comprise the diversity affairs council will be in charge of painting the 14 murals scattered throughout the space.

"It's important the student body sees Miami cares about their opinion, and that their input is valued," she said. "With this mural painting we want the students to have a hands-on ownership of the space, to feel it's theirs and to make a mark," Domingo-Snyder said.

She added that in fact the decision to use murals, versus simply painting the walls, was made in case the office moves again-this way the murals will move with it.

Domingo-Snyder emphasized that the office is open to everyone and will be fully equipped to meet the needs of university students.

Hercule agreed, saying that the space has study tables, a computer area and printer, couches and a television. Furthermore, the office will now be open until 8 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, and will close at the regular time of 5 p.m. Tuesdays and Fridays.

"We really want to attract people to this space, for students to use it," Domingo-Snyder said.

She added that the whole ODA hopes that each of the groups and individuals who come out to the mural painting will have an opportunity to get to know the other groups more, and hopefully work together in the future.