Get your entertainment fix with these affordable options in Oxford and online

Being broke and being in college often go hand-in-hand, but this guide will help you still find ways to have fun on a budget.

College is expensive.

It’s no secret that we students are trying to pinch every single penny we have. But that doesn’t mean we don’t deserve to enjoy things. As a fellow broke college student, I know how it feels to want something fun to do but having little to no money to do anything.

That’s why I’ve compiled a list of cheap entertainment to find in dorms and around Oxford. Don’t worry, no need to thank me. Your wallet will do that later.

MAP movie features

Miami Activities & Programming (MAP) hosts plenty of free events for students to enjoy, but its movie features are one of the most popular. These screenings are free to enter and are typically located in Wilkes Theater at Armstrong Student Center. They even provide food — and everyone loves some free grub.

RedHawk Radio

Did you know that Miami has its own radio station? RedHawk Radio has been on air since the ’80s. It’s home to several radio shows, podcasts, sports broadcasts and more. RedHawk Radio also hosts live music events, which are typically free.

If you’re looking for some new music, you can never go wrong with college radio.

Stage Left productions

Stage Left is a student-run musical theater group at Miami. Each semester, it puts on a different musical — last spring, for example, had a production of “9 to 5.” You have to reserve tickets, but they’re free.

Are you seeing a common theme yet? Many entertainment-based events at Miami are free, which is really nice, so go out and watch your peers put on amazing shows.

Streaming

Spotify knows its demographic: broke students. That’s why it provides a discounted version of Premium for $5.99 a month. This is quite a steal, especially considering that it includes a free Hulu subscription (with ads).

All you have to do is verify that you’re a student at an accredited college or university and you’re good to go. Enjoy music and podcasts anywhere plus you will have access to countless shows and movies on Hulu.

You can also subscribe to Netflix with ads for $6.99 a month. It’s the cheapest plan, and I’d say it’s worth it considering the amount of media available on the streaming service.

The general rule of thumb is to go with the cheapest subscription to a streaming service. It may entail ads, but at least you won’t be paying more than $10 a month to watch TV. (You can also “borrow” an account from friends or family, though maybe not for long on Netflix.)

Black Plastic Records

This one’s for the vinyl collectors on campus.

Vinyl collecting isn’t a cheap hobby. Trust me, I’ve been collecting since eighth grade. But Oxford’s local record store, Black Plastic, has a selection of cheaper albums located in the back. Their used vinyls typically range from $5 to $20.

They’re older and more obscure records, but don’t let that stop you from looking. You may find something cool. Last spring, I found “Greatest” by the Bee Gees for a great price.

Local events

Oxford hosts several events throughout the year at the Oxford Memorial Park and John W. Altman Performance Pavilion, including Battle of the Bands, Uptown Concert Series, Oxtoberfest and more. All of these events include live music and are open to the public.

Another free local event is Red Brick Friday, which takes place on High Street. The street is closed for students to enjoy live music, food, activities and more.

If you’d like to know what else is going on Uptown, I suggest keeping tabs on Oxford’s community calendar.

YouTube

I like to refer to YouTube as ol’ reliable. When there’s nothing that appeals to me on Hulu or Netflix, I always find something interesting on YouTube. There’s a vast sea of content — both long and short form.

And the best part: It’s free. There’s nothing like indulging in an hour long deep-dive on an obscure subject while enjoying a tasty treat.

Miami Esports Lounge

Located on the third floor of Armstrong Student Center, there’s a place where gamers can gather to socialize and enjoy several popular titles, including “Fortnite,” “Genshin Impact,” “VALORANT” and more: The Esports Lounge.

Equipment is provided, which is nice if you don’t own a console or didn’t bring your own equipment to school. The Esports Lounge is free for students to access during its regular hours. If you’d like to rent the space for a club or yourself, it’s only $10.

Generally speaking, there’s a lot of free and cheap entertainment on campus and around Oxford. This isn’t even scraping the surface of what’s available.

Many events and activities are advertised around campus or Uptown, so be sure to keep your eyes peeled. You don’t have to spend an arm and a leg to enjoy some entertainment – that’s one of the best things about living on a campus like Miami.

@_chloebowie_

southacr@miamioh.edu

Trending