Glenn Box to be next head coach for Miami women’s basketball

Breaking News

<p>Indiana women&#x27;s basketball made the NCAA tournament in five of Glenn Box&#x27;s seven years with the program. The team was a No. 1 seed in 2023 after finishing the regular season 26-2.</p>

Indiana women's basketball made the NCAA tournament in five of Glenn Box's seven years with the program. The team was a No. 1 seed in 2023 after finishing the regular season 26-2.

Glenn Box will be the 10th head coach in Miami University women’s basketball history, Miami Athletics announced in an email sent around 1 p.m. on Monday. Box spent the last seven years with the Indiana University women’s basketball program, including the last four as the program’s associate head coach. 

“I would like to express my sincere gratitude for the opportunity which has been granted to me,” Box said, according to an announcement email. “Competing for championships while fostering an environment of doing things the right way will be the vision moving forward.”

Miami made national news last month when it was revealed that former head women’s basketball coach DeUnna Hendrix’s resignation was linked to “intimate” text messages she exchanged with a player.

Hendrix resigned on April 26, citing competitive reasons in an interview with The Miami Student. On April 28, the intimate text messages were revealed by The Athletic, who received them from a university source. The Athletic also obtained Hendrix’s resignation letter, which was contingent upon the university not mentioning her actions in the event of third-party employment inquiries and Miami Athletic Director David Sayler agreeing that he would “not disparage [Hendrix] or make any statements to others that may be considered to be derogatory or detrimental to my good name or reputation.” 

In a statement to The Student from Miami Associate Director of Media Relations Alecia Lipton, the university said it wanted to avoid what would have come with terminating Hendrix.

“A termination action would entitle the Coach to an evidentiary due process hearing, which could subject our student athletes to undue scrutiny and burden.” the statement said. “With our student athletes’ well-being at the forefront of our concerns, and to protect their rights to confidentiality under FERPA, the University accepted the Coach's resignation on Wednesday, April 26. We continue to support our student athletes with resources and recognize how difficult this past week has been. Much of the underlying information surrounding events remains confidential and protected student information under FERPA.”

Indiana has seen huge success in Box’s tenure on Teri Moren’s staff. The team has made five NCAA tournament appearances in the last seven seasons, and in 2023 earned a No. 1 seed, in addition to a Big Ten regular season championship and an appearance as high as No. 2 in national polls. 

According to the university’s announcement of Box’s hiring, Box helped guide Indiana’s defense, which was best in the Big Ten last year. 

“A huge welcome to Glenn, his wife Leah and their entire family to Miami,” Sayler wrote in the email. “Coach Box quickly rose to the top of our search due to his influential role with the current historic run at Indiana, experience within the MAC and prior head coaching experience as well. I am very excited for our future under his leadership and direction.”

Prior to Indiana, Box spent time at Saint Louis University and the University of Akron. This is his first head coaching job in Division I college basketball.

@jackschmelznger

schmelj2@miamioh.edu