Student recipe: Fiona’s oatmeal

Junior speech pathology & audiology major Fiona Halloran's oatmeal recipe is hard to beat!

It is hard to cook for yourself while being a full-time student and part of different clubs and organizations. A lot of college students only consume snacks or food that they ordered on DoorDash; however, eating out all of the time is expensive and not the healthiest option. 

Fiona Halloran, a junior audiology major, has to balance being a full-time student, having a part-time job, being president of the water polo team and her other extracurricular activities. She is a busy person and said that “knowing how to whip up a quick meal is essential if I want to eat.” 

Everyone should have at least one simple recipe that they can make. Halloran has a special oatmeal recipe that she loves to cook, as it is “quick and easy to make.”

She usually makes this oatmeal for breakfast, lunch or as a late-night snack.

“I first made this my freshman year when I didn’t want to go to the dining halls or cook. My mom suggested making oatmeal because it is quick and filling,” Halloran said. “I have made this recipe ever since.”

Halloran prefers making this oatmeal as opposed to eating out because she knows what she is putting into her body, and it does not put a dent in her bank account.

This oatmeal recipe is really tasty and nutritious. Best of all, it is so easy to make that it can even be made in a residence hall. The only tools you need to make this recipe are a microwave, a bowl, a paper towel and a spoon. The ingredients themselves are fairly cheap, so this recipe is extremely affordable and anyone can make it. 

Another perk is that these ingredients have a fairly long shelf life, so you will not have to waste time by going to the grocery store every week.

Here are the ingredients, all of which are available at Kroger (examples have been linked):

And now for the recipe!

Step 1: Mix 1 cup of oats with 1 cup of milk and a handful of frozen blueberries into a bowl.

Step 2: Cover the bowl with a paper towel so that it retains moisture and does not explode. Microwave it for around 2 minutes.

Step 3: Slice your banana and add it and a handful of granola to your oatmeal. Add as much brown sugar as you want on top. Top off with more milk if you like your oatmeal consistency to be thinner.

Step 4: Mix and enjoy!

ashbycl@miamioh.edu