Miami alum named captain of Team USA Hockey

<p>Former Miami star Andy Miele was named captain of Team USA Hockey at the 2022 Winter Olympics.</p>

Former Miami star Andy Miele was named captain of Team USA Hockey at the 2022 Winter Olympics.

USA Hockey named former Miami University star Andy Miele captain of its Olympic hockey team late on Wednesday. 

The 33-year old forward from Grosse Pointe, Mich., played four seasons for the RedHawks. His senior year, he recorded 71 points in 39 games and won the Hobey Baker Award for the best college player in the nation. He was a part of Miami’s 2008-09 team that lost in the national championship and the 2009-10 team that fell in the national semi finals. 

Miele finished his Miami career with 60 goals and 99 assists. His 159 points are good for seventh all-time among RedHawks.

Before the Olympics started, Miele was playing professionally overseas for the second straight season. Through 47 games this year with Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod of Russia’s KHL, he’s recorded 36 points. He last played professionally in North America in 2019-20 when he finished with 48 points in 58 games for the Tucson Roadrunners of the AHL.

Miami head coach Chris Bergeron is happy for Miele. 

“Everyone associated with Miami Hockey is very proud of Andy Miele for being named to the 2022 U.S. Olympic men's ice hockey team," he said. "To be named Captain is a very deserving honor and speaks volumes about him as a human being and leader. We look forward to watching Andy and his team compete for an Olympic medal. The Miami University Hockey family will be cheering them on."

Thursday morning Team USA beat China 8-0. Miele recorded an assist in the victory.

schmelj2@miamioh.edu