RedHawk alumnus Brandon Brooks retires from NFL

Contributed by Miami University News and Communications

Miami University alumnus Brandon Brooks announced his retirement from the NFL on Wednesday.

Brooks was drafted by Houston in the 3rd round of the 2012 NFL Draft, and he signed with the Philadelphia Eagles in free agency in 2017. Brooks had battled a torn achilles and torn pectoral muscle that past two seasons before deciding to hang it up. 

In his retirement video conference, Brooks expressed his love for the game.

“How do you say goodbye to something you've known your whole life?” he said.

During his time as a RedHawk, Brooks garnered attention for his impressive play at guard. He was destined to be a star when he was named RedHawks’ Freshman of the Year in his first season in 2008.

Over the next two seasons, Brooks led the way for a strong Miami offense. The team excelled in the running game with him as their star lineman. He earned second-team All-MAC honors three times from 2009 to 2011. 

In the NFL, Brooks was an icon of durability and excellence. From 2013-2019, Brooks played in 106 games, starting all of them. Brooks was right there on the field blocking for Nick Foles to run the Philly Special in Super Bowl LII.

His career accomplishments include three consecutive Pro Bowl Selections for Philadelphia and the lone Super Bowl ring in 2018. 

Brooks’ true legacy stretches further than his excellent play on the field. Brooks pioneered the idea of opening discussions about the dangers of mental health that can sometimes plague NFL players. He chose to sit out multiple games in his career because of an anxiety condition. 

Brooks remains active with Miami, as he gave the commencement speech for 2018 graduates. 

Brooks plans to return to his studies at the University of Pennsylvania with the same rigor and passion that he has become famous for. 

It may not be the way that Brooks wanted to leave the game, but his greatest achievements may still be to come. Nobody can express this sentiment better than Brooks himself.

“The best thing about life is that it goes on.”

@edward_orzech

orzeched@miamioh.edu