“Spider-Man: No Way Home” swings into amazing thrills and twists

To quote MJ, “if you expect disappointment, then you can never really be disappointed.” This was my perspective going into “Spider-Man: No Way Home.” 

My expectations couldn’t have been further from my experience. 

This was my first premiere movie screening since 2019, so I was anxious to see if the atmosphere would be the same as I remembered. The moment the lights dimmed and the movie began, I felt right back at home. There’s nothing like a first premiere surrounded by a crowd of people. 

Breaking box office records making $260 million during opening weekend, this movie proved that people are still willing to go to theaters for their favorite films. I know the movie industry was concerned about the future of movie theaters because of the pandemic. I speak for many other fans of watching movies on the big screen; this movie reminded me why I loved going to the theater before the pandemic. 

The movie begins with the final scene of “Spider-Man: Far From Home.” Mysterio, played by Jake Gyllenhaal, reveals Spider-Man’s identity as Peter Parker. Chaos ensues in “No Way Home” from the whole world knowing Peter’s superhero identity. People didn’t need to see the previous movie, yet Marvel fans could easily recognize the scene from that movie. 

Marvel spoilers are top secret, and this movie needs to be experienced without knowing the plot twists that are thrown at viewers. All I can say is I received exactly what I wanted and more from this film. I wasn’t attached to Tom Holland’s Spider-Man before seeing this movie, but now I see him as strong as Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield’s versions of the Web-Slinger. 

The trailer for “No Way Home” revealed an intense fight with Doctor Strange and the return of older Spider-Man villains including Doctor Octopus, Green Goblin, Sandman and Electro. The fight scenes in this film were unique and realistic, keeping my attention and still moving the plot forward in each one. Unlike in “Homecoming” or “Far From Home”, these fights showed sides of Tom Holland’s Spider-Man that fans have not yet seen. I loved every second of it. 

Some of the plot points the movie centered around like Peter’s exposed identity and his actions to try to conceal it again I found issue with. Teenagers are commonly portrayed as making stupid, impulsive decisions, but Peter Parker is one of the smartest students in his high school and an Avenger. He’s not perfect, but his character felt too immature at times. 

Other than some minor character issues, I loved the banter between all the characters, showing the close relationships and friendships each of them has. I loved the quick pace of the movie which kept me focused on the next battle or problem to be solved. I loved the emotional moments that built up Peter’s character more than in the last two movies. 

I was convinced that this Peter was just Iron Man’s Spider-Man. This movie proved that Tom Holland is truly like the versions of Spider-Man I grew up with. 

If you are debating whether or not to see this movie, I would say everyone can enjoy this movie. A bit violent for younger children with strong themes of loss and revenge, but it has sweet moments of friendship and love that can make anyone smile. It’s perfect for both big Marvel fans and people who know nothing about the MCU. 

This movie will be a good segway into the next movie, “Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness.” I thought from the trailer that Doctor Strange would be a more integral part of the film, but it relates more to his magical abilities and spell-casting. 

“Spider-Man: No Way Home” reminded me why I love seeing movies in theaters. There’s nothing like enjoying the action and emotional moments in a film while everyone else is experiencing it with you. I walked out of the theater hurting from laughing, wiping tears from my eyes, and rubbing my sore hands from clapping, tempted to see it again as soon as possible. 

I actually saw it the day after the premiere. Even better the second time. 

Rating: 9.75/10

@earlgreyincense 

elizonar@miamioh.edu