‘You've got to play with the cards that you're dealt’: Students react to presidential election

<p></p>

After he was projected to win Pennsylvania on Saturday morning, Joe Biden became the next President-Elect of the United States. Biden finished his campaign with 290 electoral votes, according to the Associated Press, and more than 75 million popular votes, the most cast for any presidential candidate in American history. 

Biden’s projected win has sparked an array of emotions across Miami’s campus. 

Caroline Roethlisberger, a senior political science and journalism double major and president of Miami’s College Democrats (Dems), is ecstatic about the results. But more than anything else, she is feeling relieved. 

“America has shown that Trump’s racist, misogynistic rhetoric [and] his general bigotry will not and cannot be tolerated in the presidency,” she said. 

While some students are thrilled with Biden’s win, some aren’t ready to accept the results just yet. 

Taylor Armstrong, Chairman of College Republicans (CRs) did not anticipate this turnout in the election, nor did he anticipate how close the race would be.

“Things are not technically official,” Armstrong said. “We are going to wait until all the processes that are being pursued by the other side of the aisle, specifically the Trump campaign, are completed.” 

Although most major media outlets have called the race in Biden’s favor, Armstrong said his  win is not yet finalized. 

“It’s not premature, it’s not early, but it’s certainly not official to say that Joe Biden is going to be the next President of the United States,” Armstrong added. 

Sophomore accounting major Bennet Chambers typically leans conservatively but settled on casting his vote for Biden this election. 

“I flipped for this election because I personally just don’t like Donald Trump as a person,” Chambers said.

Despite Chambers casting his vote for the Democratic presidential candidate, he felt as though neither was qualified enough for office. 

“I don’t think either of them were the best options,” Chambers said. “But you've got to play with the cards that you're dealt.” 

Some students don't identify with Trump or Biden’s platforms. 

Nick Schooley, a sophomore economics major who identifies as a libertarian, said America’s two-party system needs changing.

“My personal belief is that America needs to change, and we need to abolish the two-party system,” he said. “We need to get some reform. Things have to be changed.”

Zoey Seibert, a junior geology major, considers herself an independent. While she isn’t affiliated with any political party, she’s happy with Biden’s election. 

“I think that the last four years, there have just been so many tensions built up over time, and I’m hoping that, with these results, we can end those sorts of tensions,” she said. 

With Trump having no intention to concede the election as of yet, many predict it may not be a smooth transition. 

“Of course, Trump has his right to contest what he wants to in court,” Roethlisberger said. “I don’t foresee those outcomes changing the outcome of the presidential results.” 

calderjm@miamioh.edu 

selvagvj@miamioh.edu 

@vivselvaggi