Former RedHawk Sam Sloman named starting kicker by LA Rams

<p>Sam Sloman practices kicks on Miami&#x27;s sideline during a RedHawks victory over Bowling Green on Nov. 13 at Yager Stadium.</p>

Sam Sloman practices kicks on Miami's sideline during a RedHawks victory over Bowling Green on Nov. 13 at Yager Stadium.

Former Miami standout Sam Sloman will be the starting kicker for the Los Angeles Rams to start the season, per NFL Network reporter Tom Pelissero.

Sloman, who was drafted in the seventh round by the Rams, won the starting job over Austin MacGinnis and Lirim Hajrullahu, both of whom have professional kicking experience.

Sloman’s Miami connection may have given him a little help, as Rams head coach Sean McVay is a RedHawk alum.

The former Miami star has always had a big leg. He took over the kicking duties his sophomore year, going a combined 22-for-29 on field goals the next two seasons.

Sloman’s senior year, however, was when he really started to gain recognition from NFL scouts. He was an integral part of Miami’s unexpected conference championship run, making 26 of his 30 field goals. Not only was Sloman named Second Team All-MAC, he was also on The Athletic’s Second Team All-America list.

Sloman came up big in the clutch, too. In the 2019 Battle of the Bricks against Ohio, he made a 53-yard field goal with less than four minutes left to put the RedHawks up for good, 24-21. The kick was one of four made field goals of 50 yards or more for Sloman on the year, after having none in previous years.

After a big senior campaign, it was expected that Sloman would end up on an NFL roster, even if it was just as an undrafted free agent in training camp. 

Los Angeles had other plans, as it chose him with the 248th overall pick in the seventh round. Sloman was the first RedHawk to be selected in the NFL draft since Quinten Rollins, who was drafted in the second round in 2015.

@LukasTheDream

nelso156@miamioh.edu