Kirin Kumar named new Miami head softball coach

Miami athletic director David Sayler has chosen Kirin Kumar as the head coach of Miami softball. She replaces Clarisa Crowell, who was named the head coach at Penn State earlier this month. 

Kumar comes to Oxford after two years as an assistant coach for Virginia Tech.

“It is my intention to continue to build on the foundation that Coach Crowell established on and off the field to graduate champions,” Kumar said. “I’m excited to start this amazing adventure with such a smart and talented group of young women.”

Kumar, a Georgia Tech alum, was a four-year letterwinner and saw action in 251 games during her college playing career. She had a .322 batting average her senior year, and in 2005, was selected to the ACC All-Tournament Team. 

She advanced to the NCAA Tournament all four years as a Yellow Jacket. 

At Virginia Tech, she led the team to an ACC regular-season title and Coastal Division crown in 2019, as she worked on defense with the team’s infielders. 

She also coached at the University of Tulsa, where she led the Golden Hurricane to their first NCAA Regional in 2006. Ten years later, she helped the team win its first American Athletic Conference Tournament title. 

From Tulsa to Virginia Tech and now Miami, Kumar has had an incredible journey in her coaching career.

“I am so thankful for everyone who has helped me through this journey,” Kumar said. “I have an incredible support system and wouldn't be here if it wasn’t for them including my wonderful parents, Vipin and Preeti.”

@lilyfreiberg 

freibell@miamioh.edu