A comprehensive quarantine streaming guide — Part three

For the last installment of quarantine streaming recommendations, we bring you teen movies, comedies and dramedies. 

Favorites are bolded.

Teen movies

• “Lady Bird” (Amazon Prime)

• Greta Gerwig’s solo directorial debut cured my depression, cleared my pores and simultaneously validated my concerns about my flaws as a person while making me want to be a better person.

• “Eighth Grade” (Amazon Prime)

• A wrenching, honest look at what it’s like to be a Gen-Z tween.

• “The Kings of Summer” (Amazon Prime)

• A group of teenage boys builds a house in the woods and moves in for the summer. It was also filmed in Chagrin Falls, Ohio. If you look closely, you can see Plain Dealer mailboxes.

• “Heathers” (Hulu)

• I have no words.

• “Election” (Hulu)

• A popular high school teacher sabotages the campaign of a class president hopeful, after she inadvertently sabotages his best friend’s life.

• “Booksmart” (Hulu)

• “Fast Times at Ridgemont High” (Hulu)

• High school in the 1980s, written by Cameron Crowe and directed by Amy Heckerling.

• “The Edge of Seventeen” (Netflix)

• An already struggling teen starts struggling more when her best friend begins dating her older brother.

• “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” (Netflix)

• I find myself sympathizing with Jeanie more and more.

• “The Bling Ring” (Netflix)

Comedies

• “The Disaster Artist” (Amazon Prime)

• A dramatic (but maybe not?) reenactment of the making of Tommy Wiseau’s iconic film “The Room.”

• “Bridesmaids” (HBO Go)

• The film that paved the way for dozens of other female-led wedding-oriented comedies, none of which have been quite as funny.

• “Crazy, Stupid, Love.” (HBO Go)

• Since this came out in 2011, it has been re-watched to death and widely declared problematic. I agree, but you can decide for yourself if you have HBO Go.

• “What About Bob?” (HBO Go)

• Bill Murray plays a guy with debilitating anxiety who follows his therapist (Richard Dreyfuss) to his family vacation home. His therapist’s family instantly warms to him, and Dreyfuss is not amused.

• “Raising Arizona” (HBO Go)

• A couple struggling to conceive kidnaps one of a set of quintuplets. Chaos ensues.

• “National Lampoon’s European Vacation” (Hulu)

• Live vicariously through the Griswolds as they go to Europe (in a film that was directed by Amy Heckerling, BTW).

• “National Lampoon’s Animal House” (Hulu)

• My dad, who served as social chair of his fraternity in the 1980s, has assured me that this is a realistic depiction of Greek life.

Dramedies

• “Landline” (Amazon Prime)

• Two sisters — one out of the house, one a teenager — find out their father is having an affair. Jenny Slate, who plays the older sister, makes it funny.

• “The Favourite” (HBO Go)

• Arguably Joe Alwyn’s breakout role.

• “The Kids Are All Right” (HBO Go)

• Children of a lesbian couple identify their sperm donor, who becomes part of the family’s life.

• “Frances Ha” (Netflix)

• After her longtime best friend essentially kicks her out of their apartment, a 20-something woman flounders in New York (and, briefly, Paris).

• “The Lobster” (Netflix)

• In the world of “The Lobster,” those who don’t marry by a certain age are sent to retreats to couple up. If they don’t mate, they’re turned into the animal of their choice.

• “Private Life” (Netflix)

• A funny, devastating portrait of a hip New York couple struggling with fertility.

• “20th Century Women” (Netflix)

• A single mother — along with a host of other women — raises her teenage son in 1979 California.

daviskn3@miamioh.edu

@kirbdavis