The "Good Morning Miami" autumn essentials

As we begin trading humidity and blaring sunshine for falling temperatures and leaves, it’s time to unveil the list of “Good Morning Miami” autumn essentials, which ensure a productive and pleasant day. 

(It’s important to note that several of these items could be classified as “basic,” but I’d rather call them traditions. Agree to disagree).

REQUIRED:

1. 1 cup of coffee or tea. This doesn’t even require an explanation. If one isn’t enough, pick another up later in the day. 

2. 1 small snack (ex: a pack of crackers or fruit snacks). It’s difficult to make it through those 10:05 classes without one.

3. 1 computer/phone charger. It’s incredibly annoying and a waste of time to trek all the way home when you’ve forgotten one.

4. A fall-scented candle. There’s lots of options, but my personal favorite is Yankee Candle’s “Harvest.” If you’re in a dorm, unfortunately candles aren’t allowed, so just buy an air freshener instead.

5. A Google calendar. Finals will be here before we know it, and it’s pretty impossible to keep track of classes, clubs and other commitments without writing it down somewhere. 

6. 1 jacket/sweater. It might be 75 or 80 degrees outside, but there are still classrooms that feel like January. Prepare for any scenario.

7. 1 water bottle. After walking a mile to class, even though the weather isn’t as stifling as it was a few weeks ago, it’s a no brainer.

8. 1 set of earbuds/headphones. Good for Netflix, music or just taking a break.

9. 1 glass of apple cider. Not sure how good the grocery store version is, so make time on a weekend to take a trip to a pumpkin farm or apple orchard. Bring your friends and do all the kid stuff: the corn maze, picking apples, the donuts. 

10. A nap. Most of us don’t have enough time for this luxury everyday. For those who do, you’re incredibly lucky. 

11. Take a walk. Miami has gorgeous trees, and literally, as you’re sitting inside, leaves are falling on the ground and it’s incredibly artistic and too beautiful to miss. Go, go outside and look around. 

Note: The “Good Morning Miami” autumn essentials can be used October through November and be repeated as often as you’d like. There really is no limit to how many naps you can take or cups of apple cider you can buy. 

@emily_dattilo

dattilec@miamioh.edu