Miami offering new full-tuition scholarship for Ohio applicants

Hoping to draw in more in-state students, Miami University has implemented the Ohio Governor’s Scholarship (OGS), a new merit-based full-tuition scholarship for Ohio students applying for the fall 2020 school year.

One applicant from each of the 88 Ohio counties will be granted this scholarship.

Like with other merit scholarships, prospective students are automatically considered once they complete their Common Application.

Director of Admission Bethany Perkins said she wants to make Miami a more financially accessible option for in-state students. 

“Sixty percent of Miami students come from Ohio,” Perkins said. “We want to provide good money for good students and encourage everyone to apply, regardless of socioeconomic status.”

According to the US Census Bureau QuickFacts webpage, the median income for an Ohio household was $52,407 in 2017.

“Fifty-two thousand a year [makes it] tough for Ohio families to afford any tuition,” said Brent Shock, interim senior associate vice president of student enrollment services. 

For the fall 2019 cohort, in-state tuition is $15,909.44 without room and board. Adding this scholarship will “make Miami more affordable for students who come from different socioeconomic backgrounds,” Shock said.

Perkins said the money for the OGS will come from funds already allocated to admissions for all scholarships.

“Each year, [we take] a look at our scholarship offerings and will reconfigure [money] based on need,” Shock said. “We’re trying to recruit the best and the brightest from the state of Ohio.”

Miami does not receive applications from every county during application season. Perkins said she wants to see a more “steady flow” of Ohio residents by providing this scholarship that is more accessible.

Shock said having more full-tuition scholarships is a better option than lowering in-state tuition. 

“There have been a number of institutions that have tried price resets, and they have not worked well,” Shock said. “They often have declining enrollment after the price drop, and within a few years, they’re generally back to costing the same as they did previously.”

“If you cut the price, students and families may wonder if the quality of that [college] is the same,” Shock added.

Perkins said the OGS will be beneficial. “It encourages everyone to apply … and it will be good for students who are currently ruling Miami out because it is too expensive.”

@sara_bey

beysc@miamioh.edu