MU CRs condemn Ohio College Republican Federation for "unacceptable language" in fundraising email

Miami University's chapter of College Republicans (CRs) condemned a fundraising email sent out by the Ohio College Republican Federation (OCRF) referring to Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez as a "domestic terrorist."

The email was signed by OCRF Chairman Tom Ferrall and asked for donations to "stop the brainwashing."

"This puts me in danger every time," Ocasio-Cortez tweeted in response to the email. "Almost every time this uncalled for rhetoric gets blasted by conserv. grps. [sic], we get a spike in death threats to refer to Capitol Police. Multiple ppl [sic] have been arrested trying to harm me, Ilhan, & others. @GOP, what's it going to take to stop?"

On Wednesday, April 10, the ORFC responded via Twitter.

"The OCRF does not condone the unauthorized email sent out in our name," they wrote. "We apologize to Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez for the use of unacceptable language in this email, and we do not approve of the message conveyed."

Ferrall said a third-party fundraising firm, which he declined to name, sent the email without OCRF's permission, according to Cleveland.com.

Michael Wing, chairman of Miami's CRs chapter, said he does not condone Ferrall's message.

"We stand behind [OCRF's] tweet and condemn the language used in that email," Wing said. "The Miami University College Republicans had no role in crafting or sending that email out."

Miami's CRs did not receive any of the money raised from the email.

berryrd@miamioh.edu